A vacuum cleaner is one of the most frequently used home appliances that are very effective at cleaning different kinds of services. It can be used to remove dust particles from floors, carpets, mattresses, upholstery, and various other surfaces. The cleaning efficiency of a vacuum cleaner may depend on the frequency of usage. It will also depend on how dirty the surfaces are. A dirty filter can also lead to different kinds of odours and may reduce the suction capacity of the vacuum cleaner. If the cleaning efficiency of your vacuum is reduced or it is not cleaning well, then dirty filters could be the reason.
The filters need to be cleaned depending on the usage. For instance, you will have to clean the filter every three months for residential and home usage. On the other hand, if you are using it for high traffic areas or commercial use, then you will have to clean it monthly. Another thing that you will have to consider is whether the filter has to be cleaned or replaced. Here’s a guide to making the task easier for you and helping you understand how you can keep your vacuum cleaner.
Types of Filters and How to clean them?
Before you proceed with the cleaning process, it is necessary to understand that vacuum cleaners have different types of filters. So, the cleaning process will vary for each of them. Before you begin, you should know about the common types of vacuum filters:
- Foam filters: These filters are made using polyurethane foam and prevent the passage of dirt particles. You can simply clean the foam filter by submerging it into a mixture of water and salt. All you will have to do is just put the foam filter in the water and squeeze it to release the dirt. You may even consider adding a few drops of essential oil to enhance the smell. The best thing is that these filters are reusable and the cleaning process is also very simple.
- Pleated paper or Synthetic Cartridges: Another type of filter that is commonly used in vacuum cleaners is pleated paper or synthetic cartridges. These filters generally use a porous element or a synthetic fabric. They are inexpensive filters, but not easily washable. However, you can consider cleaning them before getting them replaced. All you will have to do is remove the cartridge from the vacuum and then tap it against the garbage. After it appears clean and the dirt has fallen, you may consider adding it back to the vacuum cleaner. You may also consider wrapping the filter in a microfiber cloth or towel to absorb the moisture.
- HEPA Filters – High-Efficiency Particulate Air, or HEPA filter is commonly used in vacuum cleaners and purifiers. They are made of tightly woven fabrics and help in cleaning around 99% of the microscopic particles. These filters are highly efficient and will help you keep your surroundings clean. However, you should note that these cannot be cleaned easily. You might have to invest in or buy a new replacement for the HEPA filter to increase its lifespan. Otherwise, you can simply take the filter out and tap it against the side of the trash can. It will help remove dust and increase the efficiency of the filter. You should also check the instructions by the manufacturer. It will help you understand how frequently you will have to change the filter.
These are some of the easy ways you can clean the filters of your vacuum cleaner.
How often should you replace vacuum filters?
If the usage is higher, you may have to consider replacing the filter every three months. Otherwise, you can also replace them for a duration of six months. It will completely depend upon how much you use the vacuum cleaner. You may also refer to the instructions shared by the manufacturer.
Tips for keeping your vacuum filters clean
- Always empty the vacuum bag or dust canister. The piled-up dust can further reduce the efficiency and lifespan of the filter. Therefore, you must always ensure that the vacuum bag is empty.
- Add a few drops of essential oil to the filters. Over time, the filters may develop a foul smell, which can be irritating. To prevent this, you can simply add a few drops of essential oil to it.
- Clean the inside of your vacuum. Besides cleaning filters, you must also clean the other parts of the vacuum. You should clean the hose and wands of the vacuum to increase its lifespan.
- You should always clean the brush rollers. They may get wrapped in pet fur or hair, which can reduce their effectiveness. Therefore, you must keep them clean to improve their efficiency.
Filters can impact a vacuum cleaner’s performance significantly. Therefore, you must use this guide and ensure that you’re cleaning the filters properly. Increase the suction capacity and power of your vacuum by following these tips.