The global wood preservatives market is expected to be valued at SD 1,899.8 Million in 2027 from USD 1,313.2 Million in 2019, registering a CAGR of 5.0% through the forecast period. Wood preservatives are chemicals extensively used to prevent or delay wood decay, usually caused by fungi or insects. These chemicals are mainly employed for the preservation of wood and to extend its service life. Moreover, the use of these chemicals helps eliminate the need for frequent replacements of the wooden product, thereby preventing deforestation. These chemicals generally comprise substances such as pitch, creosote, tar, and sodium fluoride. Some of the most commonly used wood preservatives include ACQ, borates, copper naphthenate, copper azole, copper-HDO, and polymeric betaine.
Revenue from the global wood preservatives market is expected to register a significantly high growth rate over the projected timeframe. The global market growth can be primarily accredited to the rising need for preventing wood degradation or decay caused by several wood-destroying insects or fungal molds, rot, and sap stain. A boom in the buildings & construction industry, increasing industrial and residential construction activities (especially in developing countries), and the growing need for the extended service life of wood are the most fundamental factors expected to drive the global wood preservatives market growth in the forthcoming years.
Wood preservatives are in high demand as they help avoid frequent replacements of wooden products and prevent deforestation. Wood decay or decomposition is more common in countries experiencing hot and humid tropical climates. Hence, there is an ever-increasing demand for wood preservatives in these countries. The emergence of technologically advanced wood preservatives, increasing demand for interior design in the residential and commercial sectors, rising disposable incomes further boost the market development. Furthermore, fast-paced urbanization, increasing government focus on forest conservation, growing awareness about and adoption of bio-based wood preservation chemicals to maintain environmental sustainability are some factors that create lucrative growth opportunities for the global wood preservatives market over the forecast period. However, stringent norms against the use of hazardous chemicals like arsenic and chromium are projected to inhibit market growth in the near future.
Key Highlights of the Report:
- As per the application outlook, the industrial sub-segment accounted for the highest market revenue in 2019 and is poised to dominate the global wood preservatives market over the forecast period. The demand for environment-friendly wood preservatives across industries has risen significantly in recent years, with the growing awareness about conventional wood preservation chemicals’ environmental hazards.
- Based on formulation, the water-based wood preservatives sub-segment leads the global wood preservatives market in terms of market share. The segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR of 5.4% over the estimated period. The sustainable properties of water-based wood preservatives, such as leech resistance and anti-microbial properties, have propelled their market demand, thereby stimulating this segment’s growth.
- Among the key regional segments, North America has emerged as the largest regional market for wood preservatives. A boom in the region’s residential and commercial sectors, increasing construction projects, hefty investments in infrastructural development, and the introduction of advanced wood preservatives have propelled the market growth.
- The leading industry participants include BASF Wolman GmbH, Koppers, Lanxess, Troy Corporation, Copper Care Wood Preservatives, Inc., Kurt Obermeier GmbH & Co., Remmers Gruppe AG, KMG Chemicals, Lonza, and Buckman Laboratories International, Inc.
- In February 2020, Koppers Holdings Inc., a leading wood treatment chemicals provider, announced its plans to tap into the copper naphthenate wood preservatives industry. The company’s move is aimed at strengthening its position in the market over the upcoming years.
Emergen Research has segmented the global wood preservatives market in terms of application, formulation, and region:
By Application (Revenue, USD Million; 2017–2027)
By Formulation (Revenue, USD Million; 2017–2027)
- Solvent-based Wood Preservatives
- Oil-based Wood Preservatives
- Water-based Wood Preservatives
By Region (Revenue, USD Million; 2017–2027)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
To get leading market solutions, visit the link below: https://www.emergenresearch.com/industry-report/wood-preservatives-market