PAN, or permanent account number, is a unique 10-digit alphanumeric identity allotted to each taxpayer by the Income Tax Department under the supervision of the Central Board of Direct Taxes. The introduction of the PAN was a revolutionary system to bring together different taxable entities under one umbrella. The primary objective is to use a uniform identification mechanism to track financial transactions that might have a taxable component to prevent tax evasion. NSDL and UTIITSL are the official platforms for PAN-related tasks. Through these, you can submit an online PAN Card application for a new or duplicate PAN card, link your Aadhaar to the PAN, check the PAN- Aadhaar link status, among other things. For filing for an e-PAN Card, the details of your Aadhaar should be correct. An e-PAN links your Aadhar with your PAN. There’s no age limit to applying for a PAN card. In case the applicant is a minor, the identity and address proofs of the parent/ legal guardian need to be submitted in addition to the age proof of the minor.
How to Link PAN with Aadhaar?
In order to link your Aadhaar Card to your PAN Card online, you need to follow the following steps:
- Go to the Income Tax eFiling website link in order to link Aadhar to your PAN card.
- Sign in using your user ID, password, and date of birth.
- When you link PAN to Aadhaar, a pop-up window will appear. If it’s not already linked, click Link Aadhaar in the menu bar.
- Your PAN card already contains your name, date of birth, gender, and similar information.
- The screen shows the PAN data that matches the Aadhaar PAN data. If the document is inconsistent, you need to correct it, for instance, you can change the address in the PAN card as per the Aadhaar card to match the information.
- After entering your Aadhaar number correctly, you will need to click ‘Link Now’ to link your account. You will see a message informing you that Aadhaar has been successfully linked to PAN.
What Happens If PAN Card Not Linked to Aadhaar Before March 31, 2023?
As we all know, PAN (Permanent Account Number) and Aadhaar are two important documents required for various financial transactions in India. The government has made it mandatory for all individuals to link their PAN with their Aadhaar by March 31, 2023. But what happens if you fail to do so before the deadline?
- Firstly, it is important to note that if your PAN is not linked to your Aadhaar by the deadline, your PAN card will become invalid. This means that you will not be able to use your PAN for any financial transactions, including filing your income tax returns and pending refunds cannot be issued to inoperative PANs.
- You may be liable to pay a penalty of up to Rs. 10,000 as per the Income Tax Act. This penalty can be imposed even if you have not filed any tax returns, as long as you are in possession of a PAN card.
- If you have already filed your income tax returns and have not linked your PAN with Aadhar, your returns will be considered “defective returns” by the Income Tax Department. Pending proceedings as in the case of defective returns cannot be completed once the PAN is inoperative and tax will be required to be deducted at a higher rate. This means that you will have to file your returns again, along with the necessary documents to link your PAN with your Aadhaar.
- You will not be able to open a new bank account, apply for a new credit card or personal loan, or make any high-value transactions.
- The Income Tax Act allows the interchangeability of both. This means a person can quote either Aadhaar or PAN where needed. And if the PAN- Aadhaar linking is not completed by the given deadline, an individual will not be able to quote Aadhaar instead of PAN or vice versa.
Who is exempted from the Aadhaar-PAN link?
The ‘exempt category’, according to a notification issued by the Union Finance Ministry in May 2017, are those individuals residing in the states of Assam, Jammu, Kashmir, and Meghalaya; a non-resident as per the Income-tax Act, 1961; of the age of 80 years or more at any time during the previous year and a person not a citizen of India.
Is it Possible to Link PAN with Aadhar after March 31, 2023?
Yes, it is still possible to link your PAN with your Aadhaar after the deadline of March 31, 2023. In such as case, you will be liable to pay charges of up to Rs. 1,000 while requesting for linking of PAN with Aadhaar. Furthermore, a penalty of Rs. 10,000 will be applicable for the non-filing of returns of income.
It is essential to link your PAN with your Aadhaar before the deadline to avoid any inconvenience and penalties. The process is simple and can be done online in a few minutes. So, make sure to link your PAN with your Aadhaar as soon as possible to avoid any last-minute rush.