Tumblr’s NSFW content makes up a significant percentage of the site. For example, thousands of creators on the network contributed artwork, gifs, memes, photos, and videos to the ‘Not Suitable For Work’ section.
On the other hand, this type of content is classified 18+ and freely circulated on social networking sites. Naturally, this does not sit well with advertisers. Therefore Tumblr has declared a full-scale war on such content.
Safe mode was first launched by the social networking site, which filters any notorious content that is improper for children and preteens. Safe mode was on by default, but it could be switched off with a few easy steps so that people who enjoy that type of content didn’t have to go through an unpleasant experience.
Later, the social media network added additional complexity and, on specific platforms, eliminated the ability to disable safe mode. That is why you have come here, and thankfully, there are simple ways to turn of safe mode on Tumblr.
How to View Tumblr’s Explicit Content
Adult content restrictions have remained in place after Automattic’s takeover, leading many users who seek such content to quit Tumblr entirely. However, it is still feasible to see explicit blogs on the social networking site if you are prepared to take a few more steps.
Please note that this does not imply that explicit, adult content is permitted on Tumblr – Tumblr opted to apply a filter to all blogs that self-identified as “Explicit” before the 2018 regulations. As a result, you may only use this option if you find links to postings from one of these old explicit blogs. This is also a method many of the top social media influencers are using to get around content filters.
We’ll go over how to do the following in this article:
- Bypass Flagged Content
- Use the Tumbex website
- Remove Filter tags on Tumblr
Bypassing Flagged Content on Tumblr
Using a Computer
If you want to circumvent safe mode while using your Tumblr account on your computer, follow these steps:
- Go to the official Tumblr website in your web browser.
- From the top-right corner of the screen, select Login. Now enter your email address and password to access your account.
- You will be sent to the dashboard area of your account.
- You may now begin browsing. A warning notice will appear on your screen if you click on a sensitive link or post. It occurs when the blog in issue has been flagged by the community or determined by the Tumblr staff to be sensitive, violent, or unsuitable.
- On the screen, select the Go to my dashboard option.
- You can now see the blog that has been flagged on your screen. To view the blog, choose the View this Tumblr option.
You can repeat the procedures above whenever you come across flagged content.
On a mobile device
This approach can be used to switch off safe mode on Tumblr if you use your Tumblr account on a mobile phone. The methods are similar for Android and iOS users. However, they may differ somewhat.
- Get the Tumblr app for your smartphone and install it. For Android, go to the Google Play Store, and for iOS, go to the App Store.
- Log in to your Tumblr account and launch it.
- From the dashboard, choose the highlighted blog. On your screen, a pop-up notice will display. For example, go to my dashboard by clicking Go to my dashboard.
- Finally, select View this Tumblr from the drop-down menu to view the marked posts or blogs.
Using the Tumbex website
Unlike Tumblr, Tumbex is a cloud repository for Tumblr posts, blogs, and other types of content. As a result, it may be a viable alternative to Tumblr’s official platform. However, as previously stated, you will not be able to view some content due to a prohibition. As a result, Tumbex is a fantastic choice for those who want unrestricted access to all of Tumblr’s content.
Here’s how to turn off Tumblr’s safe mode:
- Go to tumbex.com on your web browser.
- Now, type the name of the blog you want to visit into the first search bar, titled Search Tumblog, post.
- Finally, press the search button to see the results.
Note: If you want to see a blacklisted blog or post, use the Tumbex website’s Second search box.
Removing the Filter tags on Tumblr
Tumblr has replaced the safe mode option with a filtering feature, allowing users to filter out inappropriate posts or blogs from their accounts using tags. You can now disable the safe mode by removing the filter tags from your account. On both a PC and a mobile phone, here’s how to disable safe mode on Tumblr:
- Go to tumblr.com on your web browser.
- Enter your email address and password to access your account.
- From the top-right corner of the page, select the Profile area after you’ve entered your dashboard. Then navigate to the Settings menu.
- Select Remove from the Filtering section to begin deleting the filtering tags.
Finally, refresh the website and begin browsing.
On a mobile device
If you haven’t already, open the Tumblr app on your smartphone and log in to your account.
- From the bottom-right corner of the screen, click the Profile symbol after logging in successfully.
- From the top-right corner of the screen, select the gear symbol.
- Go to Account Settings and choose it.
- Go to the section on filtering.
- Click on the tag and choose Remove. Remove multiple filter tags by repeating the process.
Tumblr Reference Guide Summary
Tumblr has made it clear that it will not tolerate inappropriate, sensitive, aggressive, or pornographic content on its site. Unfortunately, it implies you’re in Tumblr’s safe mode all of the time and can’t turn it off. Using Tumblex and other methods described above allows you to view all of Tumblr’s restricted content.
If you enjoyed this article, we recommend you also take a look at our recent article on how to create a successful fashion blog.