The global blockchain market has skyrocketed over the past few years.
The increasing demand for blockchain technology in retail, healthcare and other sectors has increased the need for good blockchain developers.
A career in blockchain technology is rewarding but also comes with many requirements.
Blockchain developers must have strong technical knowledge and soft skills to excel in their field.
If you are studying or training to be one, take a look at the essential skills you need to have.
- Knowledge About The Technology
A blockchain developer must be well-informed about blockchain technology.
They must know the complete ins and outs, including the functionality of different components.
- The role of blockchain technology in business, healthcare and other industries.
- Types of blockchains and their accessibility patterns.
- Methods of data collection and storage.
- Security risks, protection and ownership.
- Programming Languages
A blockchain developer needs to know about programming languages and be an expert in coding.
This is required for developing blockchain applications and creating your own blockchain. Even if you are a beginner in programming, you can make your way up after building your coding skills.
Depending upon the blockchain you are interested in, you can choose the programming language in which you want to gain expertise.
Different blockchain platforms use different languages so do thorough research about each.
For example, blockchain platforms like Ethereum and Tron use Solidity as the programming language.
There are plenty of online courses which offer training in these languages. You can find reliable training programs at RareSkills.
- Data Structures
In blockchain technology, data structures are used to refer to the back-linked list of data blocks.
Each block contains transactions that are arranged in a serialized manner. It is crucial to know the different data structures in order to understand how the data is stored, accessed and modified in computers.
Some of the common data structures are,
- Stack – The stack structure is a linear data structure that follows the LIFO order (Last-in-First-out). You can insert and delete operations from only one end of the stack.
- Linked List – A linked list structure consists of nodes placed next to each other. A node has two fields- one has the data field and the other has the link to the next node. You can insert and remove operations from any point in the sequence.
- Blockchain – The blockchain structure consists of blocks that store data.
- Blockchain Architecture
Blockchain architecture refers to the ‘architecture’ of the blockchain network which is connected to computers across the globe.
A blockchain developer needs to be familiar with the components of blockchain architecture including characteristics like decentralization, protection and security.
The few important types include,
- Public Blockchain Architecture – In a public blockchain architecture, anyone can participate without permission. It is completely decentralized and anyone can access the data blocks.
- Private Blockchain – In a private blockchain, only certain people are allowed to participate in the network and this is decided by the organization in control. It is not decentralized and only designated people can make transactions or data changes. They are more scalable compared to public blockchains.
- Consortium Blockchain – In a consortium blockchain, several organizations come under one blockchain network. These organizations or companies usually belong to the same industry. A consortium blockchain is often said to be a combination of a private and public blockchain.
- Knowledge Of Cryptography And Its Principles
Cryptography is a crucial element of blockchain since it deals with the protection of data, user privacy and encryption.
It can be described as a kind of security that prevents data from being accessed without permission.
Blockchain developers should take a keen interest in cryptography and master all its principles. They should know about the different encryption schemes, the roles of external authorities and the codes involved in the storage and transmission of data.
Some other important cryptographic fundamentals which a blockchain developer should know include,
- Usage of digital signatures for verifying transactions.
- Public and private keys for encryption and decryption.
- Hash functions.
Businesses and employers will always look for developers with a strong knowledge of cryptography so try to expand your knowledge in this area.
- Smart Contracts
Smart contracts are digital contracts or a collection of codes that are programmed to be executed without any external prompt whenever the terms of the agreement between two parties are met.
It is a comparatively new technology but has gained significant popularity in the blockchain industry.
Smart contracts are utilized in the maintenance of digital records, improving the traceability of lost or stolen data. They also eliminate the need for intermediaries.
Blockchain developers should have a proper understanding of smart contracts, methods of integration and the programming languages which are used for them.
- Web Development
Blockchain technology is highly application based which is why it is important for developers to be familiar with web development.
They should know the whole process of launching an application. This includes designing, software integration, marketing strategies and necessary technical knowledge.
Blockchain technology is used in cybersecurity since it offers several security advantages.
A blockchain developer should know how blockchains help protect businesses and companies from cyber theft.
They should be familiar with concepts like IoT (Internet of Things), Cyber-Physical Systems and Controller Area Networks.
- Distributed Systems
All blockchain networks are distributed and their structures can get pretty complex.
Blockchain developers should know how to design these networks and understand how they function as well.
- Technological Updates
Technological updates take place every day in the world of blockchain technology.
A strong developer will keep up to date with the trends and learn how they influence the blockchain.
They must be able to learn at a fast pace and keep up with new innovations.
It might sound challenging at first but it is not impossible to be a successful blockchain developer if you put in some work.
Do your research about the programs or courses you can take to learn the necessary skills – both technical and theoretical.