Bed bugs are tiny, oval, brown insects that feed on human or animal blood. Although they cannot fly, bedbugs can scurry around floors, ceilings, and walls. Over a lifetime, female bed bugs can lay hundreds of eggs, which can be the size of a dust speck. Bed bugs can infiltrate your home undetected via goods like second-hand beds and couches, luggage, clothing, and other furnishings. Bed bugs do not build nests. They reside in colonies in enclosed spaces. Most often, mattresses, bed frames, box springs, and headboards are their hiding places.
Most bedbug bites are initially harmless but later on may turn into itchy welts. Any part of the skin exposed while sleeping is susceptible to bedbug bites. If you have noticed a bed bug infestation in your house and are troubled by it, it is natural for you to get worried. The best thing to do in such instances is to employ effective bug removal methods to kill them. If the infestation is severe, you should hire same-day pest control for bug extermination. Keep reading to find out the best methods to kill bed bugs. Before that, let us first understand some common signs of bug infestation on your property.
What are Some Common Bed Bug Infestation Symptoms?
Your home may have bed bugs if you wake up with rashes and find yourself itching on areas of your skin that were left exposed during the night. If you recently bought a second-hand bed or other used furnishings, it is possible that these insects were already there. Some other indications of bedbugs include:
- Your pillowcases or linens have blood stains.
- Bedbug excreta may leave behind dark or reddish stains on the bed and walls.
- Bed bug feces, shed skins, or eggshells in bed bug hiding spots
- A repulsive, filthy smell emanates from the bugs’ scent glands
If you think your property is infested with bugs, remove all the bedding and inspect it thoroughly. Examine the seams in the wood framing by eliminating the dust at the bottom of the box springs. Take a look inside books, radios, the carpet edges, and also the electrical outlets around the bed. Since bedbugs can attach to clothing, you may need to also check your closet. Contact bed bugs pest control Melbourne if you are unsure of bed bug symptoms.
Now that you know how to detect bed bugs’ presence let us look at the best ways to kill bed bugs.
How to Kill Bed Bugs at Home?
Some people use DIY methods to remove and kill bed bugs from their homes. These techniques work in cases of minor infestation. Since bugs can multiply rapidly, in no time, the infestation can turn severe. For such instances, individuals prefer to hire pest control in Melbourne for bed bug extermination. Let us look at some common household methods to get rid of bugs.
- Wash all bedding, clothing, curtains, and linens with hot water. Then dry them using the highest dryer setting. Items you can’t wash should be placed in the dryer and dried for half an hour in a high setting.
- Before cleaning, scrub the mattress seams to remove bedbugs and their eggs.
- Vacuum your bed frequently and the area around it. After cleaning, quickly throw the vacuum cleaner bag by placing it in a plastic bag in an outdoor trash can.
- A closely woven, zipped cover should be placed over the mattress and box springs to prevent bedbugs from entering or fleeing. Keep the covering on your mattresses for a year to ensure that any bedbugs in the bed are killed. Bed bugs can survive for up to a year without feeding.
- To fix the hiding spots for bedbugs, patch up the cracks in the wall plaster and glue down the peeling wallpaper.
- Clear the area around the bed of clutter.
- If your mattress is infected, you might need to replace it with a new one. Just be sure to get rid of the bedbugs in the rest of your house first, or they’ll spread to your new mattress.
How Does Pest Control Melbourne Exterminate Bed Bugs?
You can call same-day pest control in Melbourne if DIY bed bug treatment is ineffective.
The procedure their team uses to get rid of bed bugs is as follows:
1. Inspect the property and develop a management plan
Every pest control starts with an inspection and consultation. Experts from bed bugs pest control Melbourne first inspect the affected areas of your home and property to locate bed bugs and identify an infestation. Based on that inspection, they devise a management plan to eliminate bed bugs permanently.
2. Deploying bug treatment methods
The actual treatment for your bed bug infestation begins with pest control specialists. They provide a range of bed bug treatment methods. Such as the following:
- Heat Treatment: This method is ideal for significant infestations in residences or hotels. The entire infestation will be eliminated with just one application of these non-toxic remedies, which are also safe for individuals and pets. Pest control Melbourne specialists increase your home’s interior temperature during heat treatments to a point where bed bugs cannot thrive. This technique kills bed bugs on couches and other difficult-to-reach areas since it also penetrates walls.
- Steam Treatment: Although it operates on a smaller scale, steam treatment is comparable to heat treatment. These remedies work well for people seeking a non-toxic cure and less severe infestations.
- Chemical Treatment: For mild infestations that are discovered early or for infestations that need spot treatment, chemical treatments are helpful. Some follow-up visits may be necessary to eradicate bed bugs.
It may become difficult to live in a house infested with pests. Bed bugs can disturb your sleep and leave rashes on your skin. To treat them in time, you should employ either DIY methods or hire same-day pest control in Melbourne. They provide bed bug prevention tools like mattress encasements to assist you in avoiding bed bug infestations. When combined with other techniques, preventive measures can help keep bed bugs out of your homes.