Compression socks are socks that are specially made to provide extra support to the legs and feet. They are tight-fitting socks with a seamless, elastic fabric. The socks are tight at the ankle and decrease in pressure over the calf and thigh.
The design of compression socks helps push blood flow up the leg. This allows the muscles to receive more oxygen. The socks also reduce swelling and inflammation after a workout. Because of these benefits, compression socks are a common tool for those who stand or sit for long periods during the day. They are also popular among athletes.
Compression socks are similar to compression stockings. The two are often used interchangeably. However, compression stockings extend up to the thighs. These stockings provide additional compression.
Compression socks come in a variety of styles. They are available in multiple lengths, colors, and compression levels. Compression socks are not the same as regular socks. Regular socks are made of a variety of materials and do not provide added support.
What are the pros of compression socks?
Compression socks have many potential benefits. Here are some of the main advantages:
- Decreased muscle stiffness – One of the main benefits of compression socks is that they support the muscles. The socks are tightest at the ankle. This provides extra support to the muscles in the calf. The socks decrease in pressure over the calf and thigh. This helps the muscles to work more efficiently and allows them to receive more oxygen.
- Reduced swelling – Compression socks also help to reduce swelling in the legs and feet. This is especially true for older adults. Swelling can occur when fluids build up in the tissues of the leg. The swelling is the result of gravity and inactivity.
- Improved muscle recovery – Compression socks can also help muscles recover after exercising. Your muscles are under a lot of stress when you work out. This can lead to inflammation and tissue damage. Compression socks may help to reduce this inflammation.
- Decreased lactic acid – Compression socks may also reduce the amount of lactic acid in the legs. Lactic acid is a byproduct of exercise. It occurs when the body breaks down carbohydrates for energy. It can cause pain and muscle stiffness.
- Improved circulation – Compression socks are tightest at the ankle. This helps to push blood flow up the leg. This improved circulation can help to increase oxygen delivery to the muscles. It can also help to prevent blood from pooling in the legs. This helps to reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Reduced varicose veins – Compression socks can also help to reduce the risk of varicose veins. Varicose veins are enlarged, bulging veins that can be painful. They commonly occur in the legs. Compression socks help to reduce the pressure in the veins. This can help to prevent the veins from expanding.
- Improved athletic performance – Compression socks may also help to improve athletic performance. Some research suggests that they may help to reduce muscle soreness and fatigue.
What are the cons of compression socks?
Compression socks are generally safe for most people. However, they may cause some side effects. These include:
- Skin irritation – Compression socks are tight-fitting. This can cause irritation to the skin.
- Nerve damage – Compression socks can also cause nerve damage. This is more common in people who are recovering from surgery.
- Blood clots – Compression socks can also cause blood clots. This usually happens due to excessive use of compression socks, under normal conditions one should not wear them for more than 8 hours.
Who should wear compression socks?
- Runners: The compression socks are beneficial for the runners. Those who are involved in running should wear compression socks.
- Pregnant women: Pregnant women should wear compression socks to reduce the swelling and muscle pain.
- People who are suffering from poor blood circulation: The compression socks are beneficial for those who are suffering from poor blood circulation.
- People who are suffering from foot related injuries: Those who are suffering from foot related injuries should wear compression socks. It helps in healing the injuries.
- People who are involved in a long time standing or sitting: The compression socks are specially designed for those who are involved in long sitting or standing such as nurses, teachers etc.
- People who are involved in hiking: The compression socks are beneficial for the people who are involved in hiking.
- Travelers: Those who are involved in a long journey should wear compression socks, it helps in reducing leg fatigue and pain.
The compression socks have both pros and cons, but its pros outweigh cons, they are specially designed to reduce leg pain.
RELATED ITEMS: HEALTH