According to statistics, U.S. jewelry will become a $307 billion market by 2026. Make the most of the market’s growth by starting your jewelry-selling business. This is a lucrative endeavor, but only if you understand the market and know which strategies to implement.
We’ll cover the basics of selling jewelry online, from thinking about your niche to promoting your products online and everything else in between. Use the information presented in this article, so you can finally start earning from selling jewelry online!
Choose Your Niche
Every business starts by thinking about the niche it wants to focus on — and selling jewelry isn’t an exemption. But what is a niche, and what should you consider when identifying yours?
Determining your niche isn’t as straightforward as pinpointing your specialized section of a market, although this still remains an important step. It also covers who you’re going to sell jewelry to and how you’re going to come up with products to sell in the first place. In short, choosing a niche is similar to creating your business plan from scratch.
Still trying to decide what niche to choose? Look at the questions below and use your answers to narrow down your options.
- Is the market saturated with competitors? If yes, how are your competitors performing?
- What type of jewelry do you want to sell?
- Where does your jewelry come from?
- Who is the jewelry for?
If you’re not going to make your own jewelry or only have a few pieces to sell, you must find a reliable jewelry supplier. But where can you find one? It’s actually easy to find suppliers, but finding someone who’s reliable, trustworthy, and supplies high-quality jewelry is challenging.
Whether you’re looking for a jewelry wholesaler, manufacturer, or drop-shipper, follow these tips to find quality suppliers:
- Google search: Start by typing in “jewelry supplier + [your area]” and check the search results. Top-ranked suppliers are there for a reason — many visit their site because they’re known for their credibility and quality pieces. But there’s a drawback: these suppliers are usually expensive. Look into the second or third page of Google’s search results to find more affordable options.
- Online marketplaces: Many jewelry suppliers are based in China. Connect with them by visiting Alibaba and AliExpress. Make sure to do your due diligence — checking details, reading reviews, ordering samples — before choosing a supplier and ordering bulk from them.
- Trade shows: Search for local trade shows online and join if they’re happening near your area. Trade shows are a good option if you want to meet suppliers in person before conducting business with them or if you have specific needs.
Decide Where to Sell Online
The World Wide Web is a big place — so big that new entrepreneurs don’t know where and how to start. A foolproof strategy is to start by deciding where to sell online. Ideally, your choice should depend on your needs, goals, and audience.
To help you decide, we’ve created a guide below highlighting some of the most common places to sell jewelry online.
- Your online store: Create an online store for your jewelry business using BigCommerce, Shopify, or Squarespace.
- Online marketplaces: Don’t want or know how to make an online store from scratch? Fret not because you can sell your jewelry in various online marketplaces, like eBay, Amazon, Etsy, or The Alloy Market.
- Social Media: Selling jewelry online is low-cost and allows you to reach a wider audience.
Showcase Your Products
This is where the fun starts. Selling jewelry online is all about making the pieces look good. Ensure that your products grab the attention of buyers by considering the following:
- Customize your store: Regardless of where you will sell jewelry, make sure that your chosen platform communicates to your target audience. Aim to make your online store professional, trustworthy, and clean.
- Write captivating descriptions: Buyers rely on you to describe your products. With this in mind, provide an accurate insight about your jewelry. Make the description factual and appealing at the same time!
- Take high-quality photos: One survey shows that 51% of users want to see at least three different photos of each product taken from different angles. Jewelry is an important and expensive investment, so take many professional photos of your products. Think about the lighting, background, and overall quality of your photos too.
Promote Your Jewelry Online
Unfortunately, there’s no magical alert that lets people know when a new website goes live. They have to stumble across it or wait until they find your products. Make it easier for them to find your jewelry by embracing the right marketing strategies, like:
- Customer reviews: Publish reviews online to show your trustworthiness as a seller. Include bad and good reviews and showcase how you respond to both. Answering negative reviews will improve your reputation and show how you care about your customers.
- Email marketing: Send emails to let people know that you’re selling jewelry. Remember to include the link to your store or online platform so recipients can start shopping right away.
- Social media: Share photos of customers wearing your jewelry, run competitions, or announce launches on social media to invite people to buy.
Implement The Right Strategies
Selling jewelry online is one of the best ways to build an ecommerce business, earn money from a side hustle, or expand your existing business. It’s manageable and accessible — even for neophytes or beginners — because of its high-profit potential and low barriers to entry.
By following the above straightforward five steps, you can learn how to sell jewelry online and, over time, develop an income-generating business. As they say, the beginning is always the hardest part, but the tips we’ve presented here will certainly help you get on the right footing!