Packing for a trip can be stressful. You are probably worrying about travel plans and itineraries, and catching your flight on time. But the problem with being stressed out ahead of a big trip is that it can make you overlook things that may seem obvious, like packing wallets, house keys, or even underwear. If you tend to be a stressed-out traveler, you will want to stay organized by making a checklist. Thankfully, we are here to help you with that. Here are nine things you should always have when traveling.
- Identification: You are going to need your state ID, but traveling also means that you could need a few more documents than you would typically carry around. If you are going abroad, you want to ensure you have your passport and any immunization records required to enter the country you are traveling to. You may also need a visa for your trip so add any related documents to your checklist. Additionally, if you are traveling with dependents, make sure you have all of their necessary documents on hand.
- Travel Documents: Another obvious one that can be all too easy to forget are your travel documents. Things like boarding passes, train tickets, bus passes, or anything else you need to embark on your trip should also make it onto your checklist.
- Currency: If you are traveling to a different country, having some foreign currency on hand is a good idea. You can exchange cash at your local bank or at the airport before or after you arrive at your destination. Additionally, make sure that any credit or debit cards you use while abroad work in foreign countries. And if they do work internationally, make sure you call your bank ahead of time to let them know you will be traveling. This helps to avoid any annoying false fraud alerts that can lead to your card being shut off, leaving you without a way to pay for things.
- Electronics and Accessories: Packing your phone is a given, but you also want to ensure you have chargers and cords for your phone and any other electronics you plan to pack. Things like laptops, cameras, and iPads will all require their charging cables. And you should also pack a portable charger so you don’t end up somewhere unfamiliar with a dead phone.
- Headphones: Along with electronics, headphones are a must. Nothing is worse than getting on a plane and realizing that you forgot your headphones. Add this to your checklist to avoid embarking on a long travel day sans entertainment.
- Power Adapters: Traveling abroad often means that you won’t be able to use your standard plug-in items as is. There are several different types of plugs that are used around the world so make sure you have the appropriate adapters for the country or countries that you plan to visit. And you also need to make sure that you can use your power adapters without a converter to ensure that you are not destroying your electronic items.
- Medications: This will vary from person to person, but if you have any necessary medications, it is a good idea to include them on your pre-vacation checklist. It is always a good idea to have things like Advil, tums, or allergy medication on hand no matter who you are, but make sure that you have daily medications and emergency items like EpiPens or asthma inhalers as well.
- Glasses or Contacts: Along with medications, people who wear glasses or contacts will want to add these items and related accessories to their checklist. This would include things like contact solutions, contact cases, and extra pairs of contacts in case of emergency.
- Weather Appropriate Items: This will change depending on your destination, but you want to be prepared for the climate you are heading to. Warm-weather destinations require sunscreen, sunglasses, and lightweight clothing, whereas cooler destinations require coats, gloves, and boots. And if it is going to be raining where you are going, add an umbrella or raincoat to your checklist for good measure.
Packing with Confidence
Follow this checklist next time you are packing for a trip to help you confidently head out the door. There are so many things to pack when traveling domestically or internationally, so make sure you are checking things off your list as you go to ensure that you have everything you need for an amazing trip.