With a growth in demand for PVC, the methacrylate butadiene styrene industry has thrived in recent years. Methacrylate butadiene styrene (MBS) is a ter-copolymer that is commonly employed as an impact modifier in PVC (polyvinyl chloride) resins to increase transparency, impact resistance, and overall mechanical qualities.
The market for methacrylate butadiene styrene is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4%. Global PVC output increased steadily in 2018, reaching more over 60 million tonnes, and PVC makers have been reported to improve manufacturing capacity over time. Increased demand for PVC in the building and construction sector, as well as increasing penetration rates in medical applications, packaging, electrical and electronics, and automotive, has driven the market for methacrylate butadiene styrene upward.
Methacrylate Butadiene Styrene Market: Key Takeaways
- Balanced demand from developed markets will indicate sluggish growth as a result of modest investments in PVC-consuming industries.
- The use of methacrylate butadiene styrene will be reduced to meet the demand for improved and suitable impact modifiers for bio-based polymers. Companies like Arkema and Dow, for example, have invested in a new line of impact modifiers to address the demand for biopolymer-compatible impact modifiers.
- Potential replacements such as chlorinated polyethylene (CPE), acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), methyl methacrylate acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (MABS), acrylic impact modifiers, and others are expected to restrain the methacrylate butadiene styrene market over the forecast period.
- Despite the popularity of existing alternatives, the transparency and impact resistance of methacrylate butadiene styrene will help to balance demand globally.
- Blow moulded containers, extruded films and pipes, as well as calendered sheets, will continue to be new target application areas for MBS suppliers.
- The market for methacrylate butadiene styrene is expected to be influenced by declining butadiene production due to the shale gas effect.
“With no signs of PVC consumption in building and construction slowing down, the market for methacrylate butadiene styrene will present lucrative prospects throughout the projected period,” says a Fact.MR researcher.
Methacrylate Butadiene Styrene Market Receiving Tailwind with Healthcare and Automotive Applications
PVC is used in roughly 40% of disposable medical kits now on the market. The growth of the methacrylate butadiene styrene market would be aided by an increase in demand for high-quality healthcare.
The usage of methacrylate butadiene styrene in automotive is clear because most PVC-based auto-components must have excellent impact resistance qualities.
Impact modifiers that are more effective and compatible with bio-based polymers are needed to reduce the use of methacrylate butadiene styrene. Companies like Arkema and Dow, for example, have invested in a new line of impact modifiers to address the demand for biopolymer-compatible impact modifiers.
To remain ‘ahead’ of your competitors, request for a sample – https://www.factmr.com/connectus/sample?flag=S&rep_id=1178