Injured individuals need to carefully consider selecting the right lawyer for their legal needs. Many attorneys are ready to do the job, but finding the right one can be overwhelming. Keep reading for essential factors to consider when choosing a personal injury attorney.
Attorney’s Area of Expertise
Lawyers often specialize in an area of law like family law, criminal defense, or personal injury. Injury Attorney Michael A. Fruhling specializes in helping victims of injury recover compensation. Anyone injured because of someone’s negligent actions may be able to file a personal injury claim.
It is essential to choose an attorney specializing in this area of law. A general lawyer may not have enough experience, expertise, or resources to see a case through to a successful verdict. Many personal injury lawyers also specialize in specific areas of personal injury law, such as medical malpractice, construction accidents, or pedestrian accidents.
Attorney’s Reputation and Track Record
Individuals should look for client reviews and testimonials for any attorneys they are considering. A lawyer’s reputation and track record provide evidence of their ability to successfully represent their clients. When considering an attorney, also look for disciplinary actions or complaints filed against an attorney. Family, friends, and colleagues who have had similar legal issues may be able to provide recommendations.
Attorney’s Ability to Communicate
Attorneys must have effective communication with their clients to ensure a successful outcome. Find an attorney who provides open lines of communication and is easily accessible by phone and email. Clients must feel comfortable asking questions and talking through cases with their attorneys. If a client does not want to open up to an attorney, it is a good sign that they might be the wrong attorney for them.
Legal cases can last a long time, often several years. A lawyer’s physical office should be convenient and close to a client. The lawyer should be available to spend adequate time and resources on the case. Always ensure a lawyer is licensed to practice law in the state the case will be handled.
Cost and Billing Structure
Always ask about the cost and billing structure when interviewing an attorney. Some lawyers charge an hourly rate, others charge flat fees, and others work on a contingency basis. Ask for a detailed explanation of the fees and additional expenses like court costs and filing fees.
Areas of Personal Injury Law
- Medical Malpractice: Doctors and nurses are human. Mistakes happen. Approximately 225,000 people die every year due to medical malpractice.
- Wrongful Death: When a victim dies because of the negligence of someone else, the family may have recourse.
- Burn Injuries: Third-degree burns are injuries that require lifelong treatment. Victims and their families are affected by high medical costs, years of rehabilitation, and other complications. Employers who do not maintain a safe worksite may be held liable. Defective products that explode may also be a liability of a company.
- Child Product Liability: Playing with toys, using car seats or cribs, and buying formula should be safe. When any of these have design flaws, faulty elements, or defective parts, they can cause death or injury. Accidents caused by negligence are preventable. Companies that put children at risk need to be accountable for their actions.
- Industrial Machinery Accident: People who work with heavy equipment or industrial machines can have serious injuries, resulting in a lifetime of difficulties and challenges.
- Premises Liability: Property owners are required to keep their property safe. If a property owner is aware of a dangerous condition, they should correct it.
- Construction Accidents: Many construction accidents happen every year. Often, when there is a gravity-related accident, employers are liable. This also includes times when a falling object strikes a worker.
- Bus Accidents: Laws hold buses to higher safety standards. When a bus driver is negligent, the employer could be liable. Because buses have large blind spots, drivers sometimes do not see small cars or pedestrians.
- Product Liability: Companies are responsible for creating safe products. Companies are responsible for design defects, marketing defects, and manufacturing defects.
- Pedestrian Accidents: A pedestrian injured in a crash may seek a bodily injury claim. Because they do not have the protection of a vehicle, they often suffer extremely serious injuries.
- Bike Accidents: Experts estimate that 1,000 bikers are killed in accidents every year.
Reasons to choose a Personal Injury Attorney
There are financial reasons to choose a personal injury attorney rather than a general practicing attorney. It does not cost anything to hire a personal injury lawyer. They cover the costs that are associated with filing the case. This protects the finances of the victim.
A personal injury attorney can recommend whether to pursue a case or not. During a free consultation, clients can explain the situation and then allow attorneys with the experience to decide if the claim is likely to succeed. This will save the client time and money in the long run.
Personal injury lawyers have legal power. Because insurance companies and companies often do everything, they can to stonewall victims, they will only provide information if they are legally required to. Attorneys can subpoena records and investigate a case completely.
A victim of personal injury may need medical care. With a wide network of connections, a personal injury lawyer will help clients get the care they need after an accident. They can also hire medical experts to testify on their behalf if the case goes to trial.
Often, when facing a legal battle, insurance companies will offer victims a small settlement. Usually, experts recommend declining the first offer. An experienced personal injury attorney will advise clients when to decline and when to accept an offer of settlement. They will ensure victims are treated fairly and get the maximum compensation possible.
While it can seem daunting to find the right personal injury lawyer, clients need to secure a licensed attorney. This attorney should have experience, expertise, and the resources necessary to ensure a favorable outcome for their client, obtaining the maximum compensation possible.