Dress shopping can be both a fun and daunting experience, especially for those visiting North America for the first time. With so many shops and styles, it can be difficult to know where to start. But fear not my fellow fashionistas, for I have gathered some tips and tricks to make your shopping experience a success. From finding the perfect fit to avoiding common shopping mistakes, this guide has got you covered.
Do Your Research
Before hitting the stores, it’s always helpful to do some research on the shops you plan to visit. Check out their website or social media pages to get a feel for their style, price range, and customer reviews. This can save you time and also ensure that you find a store that suits your taste and budget.
Know Your Measurements
One of the most important things to know before dress shopping is your measurements. This includes your bust, waist, and hips. Many stores will have their own sizing chart, so it’s important to know your measurements beforehand to avoid buying the wrong size. If you’re unsure, don’t be afraid to ask a sales associate for help.
Try on Multiple Sizes
Speaking of trying on clothes, it’s always a good idea to try on multiple sizes of the same dress. Different brands and styles may fit differently, so don’t assume that your usual size in one store will be the same in another. Trying on different sizes can help you find the perfect fit and ensure that you feel comfortable in your dress all day long.
Stay Within Your Budget
Dress shopping can be a dangerous game when it comes to overspending. It’s important to set a budget before heading to the stores and stick to it. Don’t be tempted to splurge on a dress that’s out of your price range, as there are plenty of affordable options out there that will make you feel and look great.
Know the Styles
When shopping for dresses it is important to familiarize yourself with all the types and cuts. Whether you’re looking for mother of the bride dresses Canada or prom dresses USA, you should know what terms to search that can help you on your hunt. Sure you know the most common like A-Line, but what about the rest? Here are some styles explained to catch you up to speed!
- Little black dress: First introduced by Coco Chanel in the 1920s, the LBD has become a timeless classic. This versatile dress style is perfect for any occasion from a night out with the girls to a fancy dinner. Pair it with statement jewelry, strappy heels or a denim jacket for a casual look.
- Maxi dress: Floor-length and flowy, maxi dresses are an absolute gem, especially during hot summer days. This dress style flatters all body types and can be dressed up or down. Accessorize with sandals or wedges for a casual look and add delicate jewelry to polish the look for a chic evening out.
- Wrap dress: Invented by Diane Von Furstenberg in the 70s, the wrap dress is a flattering and timeless dress style that has stood the test of time. This dress style cinches at the waist, creating an hourglass figure, and is perfect for both the office or a date night. Pair with pumps or sleek sandals and a clutch to complete the look.
- Shirt dress: Off-duty-chic at its best, the shirt dress is a versatile and comfortable dress to have in your wardrobe. This dress style is perfect for casual outings and can be paired with sneakers or flat sandals. For a more polished look, accessorize with heels or brogues.
- Bodycon dress: The bodycon dress accentuates a woman’s curves, making it a popular dress style for a night out. This dress style is getting popular for prom dresses 2023, comes in a range of fabrics, prints, and embellishments that add a bit of personality to your outfit. Dress it up with heels and statement earrings or tone it down with a denim jacket and sneakers.
Avoid Common Shopping Mistakes
There are a few common dress shopping mistakes that you should try to avoid. For example, don’t buy formal dresses just because they are on sale or because it’s trendy if it doesn’t suit your style. And don’t be afraid to walk away from a dress if it doesn’t fit properly or if you’re not completely in love with it. It’s important to remember that dress shopping should be a fun and enjoyable experience, so don’t let the pressure of finding the perfect dress ruin it for you.
Dress shopping in North America can be overwhelming, but by following these tips, you can make the experience less stressful and more enjoyable. Remember to do your research, know your measurements, try on multiple sizes, stay within your budget, and avoid common shopping mistakes. And most importantly, have fun and embrace your style! Happy shopping, ladies.