Student visa to Canada: where to start?

Canada visa for study

Students who plan to receive higher education in Canada or take a preparatory program lasting more than 6 months must obtain a student visa, Study Permit, to study and live in Canada during the study period. Education in Canada has numerous benefits, like top-class quality Education, employment prospects, but students find it difficult to keep up with the study program at times. This is one of the reasons why students tend to buy coursework online to improve their academic performance.

A Study Permit is an official document that is issued by the Government of Canada and allows you to get an education in this country. This document also gives you the right to reside in Canada for a period of 1 to 4 years.

Obtaining a student visa is a rather lengthy process and can take from 60 days to 3 months. We always recommend that students submit their documents as early as possible.

How do I get a student visa (Study Permit) to Canada?

To get an education in Canada, you need to meet certain requirements and prepare certain documents:

  1. You must receive a letter of admission to the training program from an educational institution recognized by the Government of Canada. The university or college must have a registration number Designated Institution Number.
  2. You can apply for a student visa at the Embassy of Canada.
  3. Fill out the application form, completing it with documents that confirm your identity, financial security, and a motivation letter.
  4. Please note that recently foreign students need to provide a “certificate of non-criminal record”.
  5. After the embassy has reviewed your documents, you will be given a referral for a medical examination. To study and stay in Canada, your health condition must be satisfactory.
  6. Remember: you must convince the embassy and the visa officer (with the documents provided) that you will return to your home country after the end of the program.

In which cases you do not need to get a student visa Study Permit:

  • You do not need to get a student visa if you are going to a short-term program lasting up to 6 months

After you have received the decision of the embassy to issue a visa, you should receive the following information by email:

* Information letter confirming the decision to issue a student visa. This letter is not a student visa-Study Permit, but you need to print out this letter and show it at passport control when crossing the border with Canada.

  • You will be issued a temporary residence visa (TRV), which will be pasted into your passport. The temporary visa will indicate the dates during this period (but not earlier and not later) you will need to enter Canada. Please note that the visa will indicate how many times you can enter the territory of Canada using this visa (once or several times).

The main reasons for refusing to issue a visa

The decision to issue a visa is made only by the Embassy of Canada, no one, under any circumstances, has the right and cannot influence a positive decision.

In our experience, the main reasons for refusal of a visa are the following factors:

  • You have not shown enough money and have not proved your financial condition, that you have enough money to pay for tuition, accommodation, and related expenses;
  • You did not pass a medical examination;

* The visa officer has any questions about the purpose of your visit;

  • You have not proved that you will leave the territory of Canada after graduation;

Only the embassy and the visa officer have the right to comment on the reason for the refusal.

7 Popular Canadian Immigration Programs for Students and Graduates

It is no secret that most students who choose to study in Canada are preparing for further immigration. This information is not legal advice and does not cover all possible programs and conditions for obtaining permanent resident status in Canada for international students and graduates. It is necessary to study the full conditions through official sources or contact licensed specialists to solve immigration issues.

Students with a Study Permit can work in Canada for 20 hours a week while studying at a Canadian university or college, without time restrictions during the holidays.

After graduation, the Post Graduation Work Permit Program is valid:

  • The right to work for a period equal to the completed training, in case of completion of the training program at a university or college in Canada from 8 months to 2 years;
  • The right to work in Canada for 3 years in the case of completion of a training program at a college or university of Canada, lasting 2 years or more, or completion of a training program for at least 1 year at the undergraduate level and at least 1 year of a master’s degree.

Immigration programs for graduates in Canada and their basic requirements

Below is a list of some of the immigration programs to Canada that are available for those who are studying or finishing their studies in Canada as international students. Each program is given a name, basic requirements (not complete), and a link to the official website.

  1. Skilled Immigrants – Selection of qualified specialists (more chances for unique specialists for positions that can not be filled by residents of Canada)


  1. Ontario Provincial Nominee for Students with a Job Offer

-Completion of the program at a university (college or university) for at least 2 years at the undergraduate level or at least 1 year at the postgraduate level

– Availability of a full-time job offer in Ontario that meets the requirements of the province (possible under the open postgraduate right to work program)


  1. Ontario Provincial Masters & PhDs

– Completion of a master’s degree in Ontario (2 years or more)

– Intention to work in Ontario


  1. Nova Scotia Nominee Program

-A profession in demand in the province of Nova Scotia.


  1. PEQ-Québec graduate

-to study for at least 1800 hours at a level not lower than Diplômed’étudesprofessionnelles (DEP — Diploma of Vocal Studies) in Quebec

– fluent French


  1. Saskatchewan SINP

– completion of the training program for at least 1 academic year at a Canadian university

-at least 6 months. work experience in Saskatchewan and a permanent work contract


  1. Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program

-completion of the training program for at least 1 academic year at the University of Manitoba and at least 6 months. work experience in Manitoba and a permanent work contract;

– or a college degree in Canada in any other province and at least 1 year of work experience in Manitoba.www2.immigratemanitoba.com/browse/howtoimmigrate/pnp/pnp-students.html

Full terms and conditions and official information on the CIC website and the official immigration websites of the provinces of Canada.

To Top

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This