Losing important files from a USB drive can be a frustrating experience, especially if you don’t have any backups. Fortunately, there are some ways to recover deleted files from a USB drive without using any software. In this blog post, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide to retrieve deleted files from USB drive without any software.
Step 1: Stop using the USB drive immediately
If you have deleted a file from your USB drive, stop using the drive immediately. Continued use of the drive may cause the deleted files to be overwritten by new data, making it impossible to recover them.
Step 2: Check the Recycle Bin or Trash folder
If you have deleted a file from your USB drive, it may still be in the Recycle Bin or Trash folder on your computer. Simply open the Recycle Bin or Trash folder, locate the deleted file, and restore it to its original location on your USB drive.
Step 3: Use the Command Prompt
If the deleted file is not in the Recycle Bin or Trash folder, you can try using the Command Prompt to recover it. Follow these steps:
- Connect the USB drive to your computer and open the Command Prompt.
- Type “chkdsk /f [drive letter]:”, replacing “[drive letter]” with the letter assigned to your USB drive.
- Press Enter to run the command.
- Type “Y” and press Enter to confirm that you want to run the command at the next system restart.
- Restart your computer.
- The Command Prompt will run automatically and attempt to recover any deleted files from your USB drive.
Step 4: Use Previous Versions
If you have enabled the Previous Versions feature on your computer, you can use it to recover deleted files from your USB drive. Follow these steps:
- Connect the USB drive to your computer.
- Right-click on the folder where the deleted file was located and select “Restore previous versions.”
- Select the version of the folder that contains the deleted file and click “Restore.”
- The deleted file will be restored to its original location on your USB drive.
The following table provides a comparison of the different methods for retrieving deleted files from a USB drive without any software:
|Easy to use
|Files may have been permanently deleted or bypassed the Bin
|Can recover files that are not in the Recycle Bin or Trash folder
|Requires technical knowledge and Command Prompt usage
|Can recover deleted files from a previous version of a folder
|Requires the Previous Versions feature to be enabled
Losing important files from a USB drive can be a frustrating experience, but there are ways to recover them without using any software.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can retrieve deleted files from your USB drive and avoid the need for expensive data recovery services.
Remember to stop using the drive immediately, check the Recycle Bin or Trash folder, use the Command Prompt, or use Previous Versions to recover your deleted files.
Read more info: AOMEI Backupper-Top 2 Ways to Backup Files to a Flash Drive on a