When the air conditioner fails, it cannot, like any other electrical appliance, simply be taken to a service center. If there is no possibility to fix the problem on-site, the staff of the installation company, like alpha mechanical, can dismantle the air conditioner and bring it to the repair shop, and after the repair is completed, take it back and install it in the same place. During the warranty period, this work is free of charge.
At the moment warranty and post-warranty repair of air conditioners are carried out in two ways. In the first one, the manufacturer signs a contract with one or two distributors which make deliveries and signs contracts with the dealers which sell and install air conditioners. The main advantage of this method for consumers is that the dealer is responsible for the warranty.
The distributor’s role, in this case, is to provide dealers with spare parts to repair broken equipment and technical documentation. Besides, distributors necessarily check the qualification of potential dealers, and their ability to perform quality installation and repair of the climatic equipment.
In the second case, a distributor can be any company ready to purchase and customize a batch of climate control equipment, and a dealer can be any legal entity that is positioning itself as an installation company.
Installation and charging of the air conditioner
Before troubleshooting malfunctions, it is important to familiarize yourself with the proper installation and operation of air conditioning units.
To ensure the optimal performance of any climate control device, it must be installed correctly and undergo scheduled maintenance. This includes following the instructions and SNiP (building code) requirements for installation, using specialized tools for tube connections, and having the electrical installation carried out by qualified professionals according to the accompanying manual’s schematic diagram.
Typically, household air conditioning units can be connected to a single-phase power line. However, if you purchase a unit with a capacity exceeding 3 kW, it must be connected to a three-phase network with a voltage of 380 V.
Freshening the air conditioner
It is common for climatic devices to experience a freon leakage of 2-3% of the total quantity per year, which may require topping up every 12-18 months. The process of topping up varies depending on the type of freon used. For systems that operate on R-22 freon, only a system top-up is necessary.
In the case of repairing many air conditioners in offices, which adhere to international norms, environmentally-friendly refrigerants such as R-410A and R-407C are used. In such cases, it may be necessary to inject the full volume and weight of the appropriate gas after vacuuming the main line.
How the air conditioner works
The split system of an air conditioner consists of various components interconnected by copper pipes, forming a closed circuit with freon. The interaction of these components follows a specific algorithm:
- The compressor receives low-pressure gas at around 3-5 atm.
- During operation, the compressor pressurizes the refrigerant into the condenser, which is followed by a throttling device in the form of a capillary tube.
- The capillary tube has a small opening that causes gas to accumulate in front of it, creating increased pressure of 17-20 points in the heat exchanger, resulting in a temperature rise of up to 80-85˚C.
- The refrigerant then transforms into a liquid state and flows through the circuit to the evaporator of the indoor unit through the throttle.
- As the refrigerant enters the evaporator, which has a larger volume, in small quantities, it expands and becomes gaseous again while cooling the radiator.
- Simultaneously, a fan drives air through the fins of the evaporator, cooling the refrigerant and dispersing the cool air into the room, creating a cooling effect.
Faults of air conditioners
Nowadays modern air-conditioning equipment is equipped with error codes for possible malfunctions. You only need to know how to decipher and correctly make a diagnosis. The most common malfunctions are as follows.
The unit doesn’t turn on
The issue of the split system not turning on is a common malfunction that many owners may encounter. Often, this problem is related to the electrical components of the unit. Some possible causes and solutions include:
- The air conditioner is not plugged in. Check the connection of the unit to the power outlet to ensure it is properly plugged in.
- Failure in the control chip. If there is a malfunction in the control chip, it may require the intervention of a specialist for repair.
- Remote control malfunction. Check the batteries of the remote control to ensure they are not drained and replace them if needed.
- Error when receiving signal. If there is an issue with the signal reception, it may require classified diagnostics to identify and fix the problem.
- No data transfer between modules. If there is a lack of data transfer between modules, specialized diagnostics may be needed to determine the cause and address the issue.
Another possible cause of system failure could be wear and tear of rubbing parts in the mechanisms such as the compressor and fan. In some cases, DIY repair may be possible on-site but it is important to exercise caution and seek professional assistance if needed. To get professional help, you can contact Alpha Mechanical.
There is water dripping from the indoor unit. There can be several reasons for this malfunction:
- The drainage system is clogged. If it happens in sub-zero temperatures, then most likely ice has formed in the pipe at the outlet from the wall of the house. To fix the problem, you need to melt the ice, and then insulate the drainage channel.
- Insufficient quantity of refrigerant. In this case, the evaporator itself is freezing, and as a consequence (condensate drops). Urgent repair by service center specialists is required.
- There can also be freon leakage from connections of pipes with fittings. In this case, it is necessary to tighten the nuts.
When it comes to the peculiarities of repair and maintenance for air conditioners, relying on experts like Billy Aircon Servicing can make all the difference. Their professional services ensure your air conditioning system is in top-notch condition, promoting efficiency and longevity. Repairing air conditioners on your own can be challenging because of the complex nature of their operation, design, and unique features. However, modern air conditioner models often come with an instruction manual that includes a table of error codes, making it easier to identify the issue. With this information, you can determine if it’s feasible to attempt a DIY repair for split systems or if it’s best to seek assistance from professional service center technicians. Or, better rely on a well-known expert company, like Alpha Mechanical. They are always ready to assist you!