With each passing day, there is a decreasing trend of developers doing full-time tasks. At the same time, the number of specialists hired to outsource software development is growing. Nothing is surprising in this because this is how company owners can reduce costs and increase work efficiency on the project.
If you want to stay on top of global trends and, more importantly, take advantage of this way of doing things, read our software development outsourcing guide. And if you are looking for a reliable partner, contact Lampa!
What Is Outsourcing Software Development?
If you are interested in this article, you should first of all know the definition. The scheme is as follows: you find a reliable contractor capable of carrying out technical expertise and hand over control of the work to him. Naturally, you need not just anyone but a company with its own talent pool and sufficient experience in the cases you need, which will focus on your specific needs.
If all these requirements are met, outsourced software development is an excellent option for small organizations and completing development tasks for extensive holdings. Not surprisingly, according to Statista data, more and more business owners are taking advantage of this opportunity.
Why Outsource Software Development?
The global outsourcing market is evolving, and it would be foolish not to take advantage of its best pros. Let’s take a closer look at them to see exactly what you can get out of them:
- Cost benefits. By working with specialists doing the work in the office, there’s no way you’ll be able to do lower costs. However, if you decide to give tasks not to them but to hire in-house workers, you will only pay for their work, not office rent, light, water, etc.
- Fast innovations. It’s often the case that your own team needs more time to keep up with all the innovations and keep up to date. If this is important to you (of course it is, because it is vital to everyone who works in IT), it is worth trying a separate team.
- Flexibility in scaling and changing. If you need new specialists, you will have to spend a lot of time finding them and getting them up to speed. On the other hand, you can access the specialized skills of different workers if you choose the right outsourcing company.
- Focus on core business goals. How to outsource software development if you have your own experts, and is it worth it at all? Of course, yes! This way, you can ensure that your employees are fully immersed in the process so that they are not distracted by other tasks that can be outsourced to a separate team.
- Diversity brings the best solutions. New thoughts are a fresh breeze that can offer unique solutions. In this way, you can get new ideas for your development process that can improve and change it for the better.
- Best practice from top developers. We have no doubt that if you have your own team for a software project, it is staffed with experienced professionals. However, other workers with many different practices can bring valuable ideas to help development.
Risks of Outsourced Software Development
Our software outsourcing guide wouldn’t be complete if we didn’t touch on the topic of risk. Of course, there are risks, and weighing the pros and cons is essential. Look at the risks and think about what matters most to you:
- Intellectual property and security issues. Understandably, you want to avoid a third party or competitors taking over your unique ideas. However, nothing is complicated here: just write a good NDA to protect yourself from danger.
- Lack of experience with remote developers. This risk can bring problems to those used to project management in the office. However, more and more organizations are now moving to a remote collaboration model, so you should look into applications that allow you to stay in touch with your employees.
- Communication issues. If the specialist works in an office, it is much easier for you to communicate with him. If it is a remote employee, there may be difficulties. Think about how to properly establish contact and improve your communication.
- Matching requirements. Like any employer, you have specific requirements for professionals. You may be lucky enough to find a company that meets them. If not, prepare yourself for what can be a time-consuming search process.
- Involvement and dedication. Some believe that remote workers can be irresponsible when it comes to completing tasks. Perhaps such cases do occur, but they are isolated. The reason is that the demand for such specialists depends on reviews and portfolios.
- Less control and handleability. Although delegating the work and not overseeing every detail is difficult, it’s worth it. This way, you can take off unnecessary responsibilities, which frees up your time. Just learn how to deal with it.
- Hidden outgoings. Such a problem can only occur if you don’t draft the contract correctly. It should specify the quality of the work performed, the period of cooperation, and the cases of prolongation.
Naturally, you need to calculate all the risks in advance so that you do not become an unpleasant surprise when they appear at the most inopportune moment.
Selecting the Right Outsourcing Software Development Vendor
So how do you make the right choice? We will give you some tips that will definitely help you in practice. Try to follow them, and you will definitely succeed.
Tips for Verifying a Software Outsourcing Company
The first thing to look at is the portfolio. This way, you will see what the company has been doing and what successful cases it has managed to bring to life. Also, read the testimonials. The actual user experience can tell you more about an organization than any advertising. Another important tip is to get to know the team members. This way, you can learn about their experience and understand whether you want to move on to the next stage or end the working relationship before you even start.
Technology Vendor Selection Criteria
You should closely examine the industries in which the company operates. Then match them with what you need. You may have excellent JAVA programmers on your team, but you don’t need them; you need UX designers, for example. Examine the portfolio to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the organization. You can also ask for a minor test assignment, although not everyone agrees with this.
Checklist to Choose a Software Development Company
So, here’s what you need to do:
- Determine the goals you have set for yourself. A lot will depend on this.
- Determine your budget and time frame for the work.
- Research the market (countries where you can find developers, the level of pay in them, the language skills you need).
- Study information about a potential partner (reviews, portfolio, data about team members).
After that, you must sign a proper contract and get to work.
Outsourcing projects is a great solution that can bring many pros to you and your company. Be sure to take this chance, having previously calculated all the risks. This way, you will definitely be able to achieve success without any problems.