The journey of applying for an EB-5 green card can be a complex and intricate process. From understanding the application requirements to navigating the processing times, fees, and investment amount, there are many factors to consider.
In this article, we will explore how leveraging the expertise of immigration law professionals, such as EB-5 green card lawyers, can be invaluable during the application process. With this, we’ll delve into the application process, shed light on the importance of working with an immigration lawyer, and address common questions and concerns applicants may have.
How To Get A Green Card Under The Eb-5 Category
The EB-5 visa program, also known as the Immigrant Investor Program, opens doors to the United States for foreign entrepreneurs and their families through a substantial investment in a U.S. commercial enterprise. To qualify, the initial requirement works one of two ways: to invest $1.8 million or invest $900,000 in a targeted employment area, with the goal of creating or maintaining no less than ten full-time jobs for eligible U.S. workers.
Starting the Green Card Application Process
The journey towards an EB-5 green card begins with the foreign entrepreneur filing Form I-526, commonly referred to as the Immigrant Petition by Alien Investor. This crucial form serves as evidence that the applicant fulfills all the necessary requirements of the EB-5 program. Moreover, it demonstrates the investment amount, showcases job creation prospects, and verifies the lawful sources of funds. Hence, it’s essential to compile thorough and accurate documentation to support the petition.
Attaining Conditional Resident Status
Upon approval of Form I-526, the investor and their immediate family members can proceed to apply for conditional resident status. This status grants them temporary green cards, which remain valid for a period of two years. During this conditional period, it is vital for the investor to fulfill additional requirements, such as creating and maintaining the required number of jobs.
Transitioning to Permanent Green Card Status
Before the expiration of the conditional green card, the investor must submit Form I-829, known as the Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. This vital form serves to demonstrate that the initial investment has been sustained, the job creation requirements have been met, and the investment remains at risk. Upon approval of Form I-829, the investor and their family members will be issued permanent green cards.
How Much Time Does It Take To Get A Green Card In Eb-5?
The processing time for an EB-5 green card can vary widely. Once the I-526 form is filed, it may take between 29 to 45 months for processing, according to recent data from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
Upon approval, you can then apply for a visa to enter the U.S., a process that might take an additional few months. However, your EB-5 green card lawyer can help expedite the process where possible and ensure your application is processed efficiently (we’ll get to more about this later).
How Can I File My Eb-5 For A Green Card
As we discussed above, to file your EB-5 for a green card, you need to go through several stages:
- Making the qualifying investment and fulfilling all the requirements of the EB-5 program.
- Filing Form I-526, demonstrating that the investment meets all EB-5 criteria, and providing biographic information.
- Upon approval of Form I-526, either filing Form I-485 (if you are already in the U.S.) to adjust your status to conditional permanent resident, or applying for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate (if you are outside the U.S.)
What Does Conditional Eb-5 Green Card Mean
A conditional EB-5 green card is initially issued to EB-5 investors and their families, granting them the same rights and benefits as a permanent green card. However, it carries an important condition that must be met. The investor is required to fulfill the job creation requirements and sustain their investment throughout a two-year period. During this time, the investor enjoys the privileges of a green card, but it remains subject to the condition.
How Long Does It Take To Get A Temporary Green Card After Eb-5
The timeline to receive a conditional green card, or a temporary green card as it’s also known, after the approval of Form I-526, varies. If you’re applying from within the U.S., it might take 6-12 months. However, if you’re applying from outside the U.S., you need to wait for a visa number to become available, which can take several months.
Why Hiring an Immigration Attorney is Essential
Navigating the complex maze of the EB-5 green card application process can be overwhelming, especially for those unfamiliar with immigration law. An EB-5 green card lawyer brings a wealth of experience and extensive knowledge of the legal intricacies involved in the process. Here are a few reasons why their expertise is critical:
- Understanding the Law: Immigration law is complex and constantly evolving. A specialized EB-5 green card lawyer is equipped with up-to-date knowledge, helping you know the rules and regulations surrounding the EB-5 application process.
- Avoiding Pitfalls: A minor mistake in your application can lead to severe consequences, including delays or even denials. An EB-5 green card attorney ensures your application is flawless, helping you avoid such pitfalls.
- Maximizing Success: Hiring an immigration lawyer significantly increases your chances of a successful application. They provide invaluable guidance throughout the process, enhancing your understanding and preparedness.
- Efficient Handling: Immigration procedures can be time-consuming. An EB-5 green card lawyer handles the legwork, allowing you to focus on other essential aspects of your move to the U.S.
- Peace of Mind: Perhaps the most significant advantage of hiring an immigration attorney is the peace of mind it brings. Knowing that an expert is diligently handling your application provides reassurance in an otherwise stressful process.
Maximizing Success with an EB-5 Green Card Lawyer
Ultimately, pursuing an EB 5 visa green card is a significant step towards achieving your American Dream. However, the complexities involved can be overwhelming to navigate alone. That’s why it is highly recommended to seek the guidance of an experienced EB-5 green card lawyer. Their expertise and deep understanding of immigration law can greatly increase your chances of a successful application, bringing you closer to realizing your American Dream.