The branch of web development is constantly evolving and changing: new engineering innovations are being applied to replace outdated approaches that were relevant a few months ago. Thus, program writers are always at the forefront of the progress searching for the latest trends that will transform and improve digital marketing in order to exploit its full potential.
This is the case with machine learning (ML) that is officially the hottest deal on the market and is already revolutionizing the Internet paradigm. It alone will impact a 14% increase of the global GDP by 2030 with nearly 42% of the annual growth rate. In fact, 65% of the companies are already introducing machine learning algorithms, or artificial intelligence proper, into their products today. As for the learning trends, more than 5 million students have been enrolled in machine learning courses on Udemy only.
Therefore, in this material, we will try to check whether machine learning, which was more common in the realm of science fiction a few decades ago, can have an impact on web development right now.
The correlation between machine learning and artificial intelligence
Without going into thick details we can define artificial intelligence (AI) as systems or machines that mimic human brainpower to perform tasks and can successively improve their operations based on the information they collect.
The above is being possible thanks to the contribution that AI makes to the development of software through one of its key branches, machine, which works as a self-taught student, that is, as an instrument that does not need teachers or external tutors to learn and know how to face contingencies, detect problems and solve them without any outside intervention.
It’s worth noting that while all machine learning, or the omitted at this point machine learning, is a matter of artificial intelligence, in general, AI is not just limited to them.
Of course, this in no way means that a dystopian robot will replace humans and web developers need to look for other areas of using their skills. The technique is still unmatched when it comes to processing large amounts of information, detecting subtle patterns and dynamics over long periods of time, and controlling disparate responses to external requests.
In the meantime, the flesh-and-blood specialist gets free time to creatively apply the findings and solve atypical problems with the power of imagination. Traditional software activities like application creation, video gaming, graphic design, or cloud cybersecurity testing require human interference to organize data, prepare applied conclusions and determine the points of application of actions.
Practical business cases of machine learning application
The race to dominate these new technologies has begun and the results are already coming through, although it is still too early to anticipate the consequences that it will have beyond what is already evidentю Now, people:
- drive smart cars (or they drive us)
- talk to virtual assistants who recognize their voice and know their tastes
- make the personalized purchase
- unlock devices by the face
- watch the series that Netflix recommends
- get the products that Amazon suggests
Companies are starting to create more sophisticated diversions based on artificial intelligence thanks to the machine frameworks of Google, Facebook, and other leaders of the sphere laid out in free access for the benefit of others. This is how everyone can automate development and web design work in this long-distance race.
Other iconic points of combining machine learning capabilities with web development include:
- Chatbots. In digital marketing, chatbots are the most common visible facet of AI that many brands have begun to implement as communication channels with their customers. The advantages of chatbots are obvious: they allow you to offer customer service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At the same time, they are capable of managing a large volume of queries simultaneously and maintaining a high level of service quality.
- Content generators. Though, far from generating Noble-winning texts, artificial intelligence already allows you to create interesting and 100% original content. Tools such as Articoolo and Quill help to generate content from a series of very basic data and information.
- Email marketing. Email marketing does not escape adopting initiatives that incorporate artificial intelligence. In fact, such tools as Phrasee and Persado use different natural language processing to create subject lines, email content, or CTA texts.
- Web design. A much broader and more consistent way that artificial intelligence is changing the web is by starting to supplant the designers. A growing field of artificial design intelligence (ADI) tools is doing just that and driving a fundamental change in the way websites are created. The Wix and Bookmark offering now do a credible job of building websites in just moments, with plenty of options for later customization.
Thus, in just a few years, it’s easy to see machine learning taking an increasing share of the overall web development market.
Machine learning impact on web design
This trend will impact the work of software developers, so it is important to understand what these technologies are and how they can apply them, both in the software development lifecycle and in the applications themselves.
Below is the list of some efficient utility of artificial intelligence to software development:
Quickly turn an idea into code
Taking a business idea and implementing it in software code is still a big problem, despite improvements in this area thanks to agile methods and business analysis practices. Imagine that a development team could simply describe an idea in natural language and have the system understand it and turn it into executable code?
Although that is still science fiction, it is possible that through natural language processing and expert systems changes and improvements to an application can be suggested. AI will enrich test cases and requirements models with more sophisticated text recognition, resulting in better code generators.
Improve the accuracy of estimates
The estimation of software projects is still a complicated activity with low precision. Imagine a solution for estimating software that analyzes historical data from previous company projects to find statistics and correlations, and uses predictive analytics and business rules to provide more accurate estimates of time and effort.
Accelerate the detection of defects and solutions
When a system has production failures, teams spend a great deal of time and effort reproducing those failures in order to locate and correct them, and in most cases, the team that did the development is no longer available. Through AI, the skills of the person who wrote the original code could be analyzed and someone available with a similar profile could be found.
Automate decisions of what to build and test next
An AI could analyze the usage patterns of an application in production and based on that decide which backlog requirement (s) should have the highest priority, or be implemented first. This usage behavior analysis could also be used to generate automated test scripts.
Therefore, while finishing this research our initial question needs to be changed to “How machine learning could not affect web development?” AI is firmly embedded in all areas of production, and therefore the main attitude of web developers should be finding ways to practice its unlimited possibilities for their own use. After all, the competitors are working on it right now.