PDF files have multiplatform compatibility and security features, making them an ideal choice even for confidential files. As PDF is a common choice for saving and sharing digital documents, it is important to know how to write on a PDF document on Mac. In this post, we show you how to markup a PDF as well as how to draw on PDF on Mac. Let’s get going!
How to Write on a PDF on Mac
There are different approaches about how to add text to a PDF on Mac. One of the easiest ways to add text is by using free online tools, such as FormatPDF’s here, which are a great choice.
How to Add Text to PDFs on Mac Using Free Online Tools
Here is how to write on a PDF on Mac using an online tool like FormatPDF:
1) On your macOS browser open the website, and in the top right-hand corner of the menu, select “English”. (Image 1)
2) In the menu bar, click on “More Tools” and then click on “Edit PDF”. (Image 2)
3) Upload the file either by manually selecting it or by dragging and dropping it into the upload box. (Image 3)
4) Once your file opens in the PDF editor window, select the page you want to add the text from the Page Preview panel on the left.
5) Next, select the Text tool (T) from the tools menu and select the area where you want to add your text. (Image 4).
(a.) You can choose the text alignment, style, color, and size according to your needs.
6) Once you have completed adding the text to your PDF, click on “Download” to download the edited PDF file to your Mac system. (Image 5)
How to Type on a PDF: Mac Preview App
You can also use your MacBook’s native tools to add text to a PDF. The Preview app on your Mac system is an easy way to markup a PDF. Here is how to go about adding text to your file using this app:
1) Open your PDF file on your Mac system in the Preview app.
2) Next, if the Markup toolbar isn’t showing, click on the Show Markup Toolbar button.
3) Click on the Text button in the toolbar (you can also use the Touch Bar on your Mac to select the tools) and drag the text box to the area where you want to add the text to your PDF file.
4) Once you have finished adding text, you can save it as follows based on your requirements:
(a.) Save as “Export to PDF” to allow annotations to be edited later. You can do this by clicking File > Save, File > Export, or File > Export to PDF.
(b.) If you want to flatten the annotations, then, click on File > Print, then Save as PDF.
How to Draw on a PDF on Mac
Drawing tools allow you to quickly sign your documents or draw on them. This keeps you from having to print your PDFs, edit them and scan them again, thereby saving you time and paper.
How to Draw on a PDF on Mac with Free Online Tools
Sites like FormatPDF can also be used to draw on PDF files, add shapes, or even add a signature. Here is how you can use the online editor to draw on PDF files on your Mac system:
1) Open the website in your Mac system’s browser, and select “English” on the right side of the main menu.
2) Click on “More Tools” in the menu and select the “Draw PDF” option from the drop-down menu.
3) You will be redirected to the upload page where you can upload the PDF by either dragging and dropping the file or manually uploading it.
4) The uploaded file will open in the PDF editor window. Select the page you want to draw on using the Page Preview panel on the left.
5) Next, select the Pencil tool from the tools menu to begin drawing:
(a.) You can choose the freehand draw, use straight lines, and select the color and size of the drawing tool.
6) You can also use the shapes and icon tools from the menu to add those to your PDF file.
7) Click on “Download” to download the edited PDF file to your Mac system.
How to Draw on a PDF on Mac with the Preview App
The Preview app allows you to draw on your PDF files as well. Here’s how you can do that:
1) Open the PDF file you want to draw on in the Preview app.
2) Click on the Show Markup Toolbar button, if the Markup toolbar isn’t already showing
3) The Preview app offers you two types of drawing tools:
(a.) Sketch: This tool allows you to sketch a shape with a single stroke which is replaced by the shape if it is recognized as a standard shape. If you want to keep your drawing, you can select it from the shown palette.
(b.) Draw: This tool is available on Mac systems with Force Touch trackpads. This works similarly to the Sketch tool, except that the heaviness and darkness of the lines can be controlled by how firmly you press on the trackpad.
4) You can also use the Shapes tool to add shapes to your file.
5) Save the file once you are done
Frequently Asked Questions
How to take notes on a PDF on Mac?
You can use the text tool or draw tool to take notes on your PDF files as per the instructions mentioned above. But Mac’s Preview app also gives you the option to add notes and speech bubbles to your PDF. Use the Note tool in the app to create notes on your PDF.
How to sign PDFs on Mac operating systems?
Online editing tools allow you to add your signature to your PDF files using the draw tool and using the free draw option.
If you already have your signature saved on your computer, then you can also use the Preview app on your Mac. Select the Sign tool to select the signature from the list of saved signs. You can save your signature to your system by clicking on Create Signature and saving your sign using the trackpad, the built-in camera, or even your iPad or iPhone that meets Continuity system requirements.
While Mac’s preview app is a great way to add text or draw on your PDF documents, online tools offer you many editing options, all without the need to download an app and for absolutely no cost. Online tools are a great choice as they can be used anywhere, on any system, and do the work on the cloud. Give them a try!