Ants in the home are a common issue for many homeowners. Various ants can infest your house, such as pavement ants, big-headed ants, odorous house ants, black ants, carpenter ants, etc. The most destructive of these are carpenter ants, who construct their primary or parental nests primarily outside your property. Typically, their colonies can be found in damp or rotted wood like old logs, tree stumps, firewood stacks, or dead trees. Additionally, winged carpenter ants may occasionally be located outside of your windows or front doors, which signifies a busy colony inside your house. Although dealing with an ant infestation is not easy, a few efficient techniques can help you get rid of the tiny pests once and for all.
Although many homeowners attempt DIY treatments, these do not work, especially in cases of severe infestation. This is because homeowners use the wrong products unsuitable for a particular ant. The species that are present must be accurately identified to choose the most effective pest control strategy, which can be done by pest control services in Melbourne. It is also because hardware stores do not carry the essential supplies for effective ant management. Other than carefully employing the techniques we will discuss in this article in detail; you may also need professional assistance from pest control Melbourne to address these issues. Before discussing the best ways of eliminating carpenter ants from your house, let us first see how we can detect an infestation.
How to Identify Carpenter Ants?
There are numerous species of carpenter ants, and they differ in size and color. However, the most prevalent carpenter ants in Melbourne are enormous, ranging in size from one-quarter inch to five-eighths of an inch. They may have wings and are often black or reddish. These wings help the ants swarm, searching for a new area to establish a colony.
Winged carpenter ants are sometimes mistaken for termites because they construct their nests in wood. However, these two insects are distinguishable with the unaided eye. Carpenter ants have angled antennae like an elbow and a slender “waist,” or middle body segment (thorax). If these ants have wings, the front pair is longer than the back pair. Suppose individuals cannot identify the type of insect due to a lack of expertise. In that case, it is best to hire a pest control Reservoir to understand the infestation and eliminate them effectively.
What are The Signs of Carpenter Ants Infestation?
It is the most significant indicator of carpenter ant infestation if you see black ants on or near your property.
- Knowing their appearance and routines will make it simple for you to recognize them and take the appropriate action.
- Finding little pieces of sawdust or wood could also be an indication. It is caused by insects tunneling into the wood.
- Consider hearing them. Despite their small size, carpenter ants can still be heard because of their loud sound. You must be close to the region where they are nesting and be relatively quiet.
How to Eliminate Carpenter Ants from Home?
If you are troubled by the carpenter ants in your house wreaking havoc, you must be looking for the best ways to get rid of them. Pest control services are the safest and most efficient way to eliminate all types of ants in your house. However, if you are considering using some DIY treatment methods, read on to know more.
1. Liquid detergent and window cleaner
When ants wander, they leave a scented pheromone trail that acts as a guiding path to other ants. This approach might eliminate the smell and help keep the ants out of your house. Following are the steps you can follow:
- In a clean container, prepare a mixture of liquid detergent and dish soap for glass washing.
- Spray the mixture in regions from where ants enter.
- Wipe the area after spraying, leaving a little residue.
Note: Using soapy water of any kind will eliminate the smell of ant pheromones if you don’t have a glass cleaner.
A natural ant repellent such as peppermint may work well to keep insects and other pests away. Follow these steps to make use of peppermint essential oil as a natural ant repellent:
- Mix 2 cups of water with 10 to 20 drops of peppermint essential oil in a clean plastic spray bottle
- spray the mixture around your home
- Once the solution has dried, repeat as and when required
You must keep peppermint oil away from your pets.
3. Boric acid
Boric acid is poisonous and can kill worker ants after a few weeks of exposure. It brings this about by destroying the ants’ exterior shells and guts. You should keep boric acid away from children and pets since it poses a risk. Follow the steps listed below to use boric acid:
- You must first wear protective gloves
- Then mix one cup warm water, eight tablespoons sugar, and half a teaspoon boric acid to make a mixture
- You should stir boric acid and sugar until they dissolve
- Place cotton balls soaked in the prepared mixture in different areas of your house where you see ants frequently
- Wash the utensils properly after use or you can even throw them away
4. Hire professional pest control services in Melbourne
A good pest control specialist will inspect your property in great detail. Be prepared for inquiries regarding sightings and recent ant activity. Having the entire family there may help the agent determine the site of the next more accurately. After locating the nest, the pest control Melbourne specialists will drill holes and treat the nearby wood as they work their way outward, ending the operation by spraying the outside of your house with a residual insecticide. Due to the prevalence of carpenter ant infestations and the difficulty in eliminating them, hiring a pest control Reservoir to handle your ant problem is necessary.
If you are struggling with an ant infestation in your home, you can try homemade remedies such as liquid detergent, peppermint, some essential oils, boric acid, etc. You need to be extremely careful while employing these methods, especially the chemical ones. To avoid any harm to your skin or any allergies, you can also hire pest control in Melbourne to get rid of ants effectively at affordable costs.