Work boots are an essential accessory for people working outdoors such as on construction sites or in the timber industry. These boots are comfy, durable, and safe to wear. The hard material of these boots protects the foot from workplace injuries.
Sometimes while working in a muddy environment or under bad weather conditions, the work boots become dirty with dust, grime & mineral deposits and look terrible.
Every work boot type contains a different material and each material requires a separate cleaning solution and method.
One of the most effective and cheapest cleaning agents that you can use to clean shoes is vinegar. You can clean all types of work boots including Wolverine, Keen Utility or Timblerland boots with vinegar. Vinegar is a mild cleaning agent that you can use to clean the tough stains on your boots and bring a new shine to them.
Besides vinegar, several common household items show the best results for eliminating dirt and dust stains on work boots.
The common method of cleaning
To clean your work boots, here are some common methods that you can use;
Method no 1
It is the traditional method of cleaning work boots. Vinegar and water make a strong and effective cleaning solution that removes the dirt and grime from your boots.
Things you need
A clean piece of cloth
- First of all, remove the laces of your shoes and clean them separately with a soapy solution.
- Take some warm water in a bowl and add vinegar to it.
- Mix both ingredients well to make a cleaning solution.
- Take the clean piece of cloth and dip in it the cleaning solution.
- Rub the solution on the boots with the help of a cloth.
- Leave the boots for a few minutes.
- Take a damp cloth and clean the boots thoroughly.
- Place the boots in a warm environment for drying. Make sure you don’t place the boots near a heat source because it will make them crack and dull.
You can repeat this cleaning process until the stains of mud and dirt are removed and the boots become shiny again.
Method no 2
- Take a bowl and pour some vinegar into it.
- Add some toothpaste to the vinegar and stir it well to make a mixture.
- Apply the mixture to the boots with the help of a toothbrush.
- Leave the solution on boots for 60-70 seconds.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the boots.
- Let the boots dry for 3-4 hours.
- Brush the boots and store them.
This method of cleaning work boots is easier. However, the toothpaste and vinegar collectively can make your boots dull and cracked because they are aggressive on the material of your boots.
Method no 3
Baking soda and vinegar are strong cleaning agents that can effectively eliminate the dirt and mud stains on your work boots. Besides cleaning, these ingredients bring a spectacular shine to your work boots and make them look new.
To make the cleaning solution, mix baking soda and vinegar. Stir both the ingredients very well to make a thick paste.
- Take a brush and apply the paste to the boots.
- Leave the paste on the boots for a few minutes.
- Take a damp cloth and rub the boots to wipe the stains.
- After wiping, let the boots dry in a warm environment or you can use a microfiber towel to dry them thoroughly.
How to make timberland boots shiny?
To make the timberland boots shiny again, all you have to do is;
- Remove the laces of your boots.
- Clean the dust with the help of a stiff brush.
- Make a vinegar cleaning solution.
- Soak a piece of cloth in the solution and apply it to the boots.
- Leave the boots for 2 minutes.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the vinegar solution.
- Let the boots dry for 3-4 hours in a well-ventilated environment.
- Take a boot brush and buff the boots to bring a new shine.
Does vinegar damage the leather boots?
No, the solution made with equal proportions of vinegar and water doesn’t damage the leather boots. You can apply the vinegar solution to your leather boots with the help of microfiber cloth in a circular motion.
It will remove the stubborn stains of mud and dust on your boots and make them look new and attractive by restoring their luster.
How to fix ruined work boots?
You can fix the ruined work boots by following the easy steps written below;
- Remove the laces
- Clear the dust and dirt using a stiff brush.
- Use a microfiber cloth dipped in a soapy solution to clean the boots.
- Rinse the boots with fresh water.
- Buff the boots with a boot brush.
- Apply leather-matched color dye.
- Use leather fill to fix scratches.
- Apply more dye to the boots.
- Lastly, apply a leather sealer to fix the boots.
What home remedies are best to clean the work boots except for vinegar?
If you are not interested in buying some high-end cleaners from the market, you can use different home remedies to clean the work boots at home without ruining them. They will effectively clean the surface of boots and make them shiny.
- Talcum powder
- Baking soda
- Baby shampoo
- Hair conditioner
- Dishwashing liquid
While working in a muddy environment, the work boots get dirty quickly. The stubborn stains of mud and mineral deposits take time for cleaning.
You can use vinegar for cleaning your filthy work boots. Vinegar will effectively clean the boots and bring a new shine to them just like a new pair of boots.
Besides vinegar, you can use different household items such as talcum powder, toothpaste, and baking soda to clean the dirty work boots.