The branch of mechanical engineering comprises the design, development, study, construction, as well as testing of thermal and mechanical devices and sensors. Based on facts, the roots of this engineering area belong to the age of the industrial revolution, with the advent of automated engineering, steam engines, and the demands of proper engineering solutions associated with railroad transportation.
However, a degree program in Mechanical Engineering is offered by several mechanical engineering colleges in India. Numerous candidates opt for this area of engineering as it can offer a variety of opportunities in engineering services, research and development, and manufacturing. And, as a whole, the mechanical engineering career focuses on generating technologies to meet a wide range of human needs.
In this blog, we will talk about the mechanical engineering study programs, and what it takes to turn into a successful mechanical engineer.
Table of Contents:
- Mechanical Engineering- Course Overview
- Syllabus of Mechanical Engineering
- Steps to follow in becoming a successful mechanical engineer?
- Arya College Jaipur
Mechanical Engineering- Course Overview
The study of Mechanical Engineering generally provides a proper understanding and enhanced knowledge of how heavy tools as well as machinery function. As a student of the mechanical engineering program, you can gain knowledge about electric motors, and designing automobiles, aircraft, and also other heavy vehicles.
The mechanical engineering course can be studied at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. And, the average Mechanical Engineering college fee in India is approximately INR 20,000 to 2 lakhs or above per year. However, the admission process usually takes place depending on the entrance examination scores of candidates.
Syllabus of Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and most diverse fields of engineering, and a study program in Mechanical Engineering generally imparts extensive knowledge in a variety of topics. A few of those discussed topics are given below:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Graphics
- General Chemistry
- Material Science
- Basic Electronics and Electronic Circuits
- Machine Drawing
- Manufacturing Processes
- Applied Thermodynamics
- Fluid Mechanics
- C Engines and Gas Turbines
- Introduction to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Solid Mechanics
- Measurement and Meteorology
- Heat Transfer
- Machine Dynamics
- Control systems
- Engineering Product Design
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Industrial Management
Factors to keep in mind for becoming a successful mechanical engineer?
Considering the responsibilities and duties a mechanical engineer needs to perform, certain things need to be considered to secure a job in this field. The following points include some of the mandatory aspects you should consider if you are interested in this profession.
- Pursuing the required education- The desired education in this field is that you should belong to a science background, with Chemistry, Arithmetic, and Physics as essential subjects in the 12th standard. Most importantly, a four-year bachelor’s degree is mandatory to become a mechanical engineer. However, candidates failing to finish or pursue the full-time B.Tech program can also look for a three-year diploma program in mechanical engineering, offered by different colleges in India. Upon completion of the bachelor’s, you can also seek a master’s degree in mechanical engineering (M.Tech), which is a two-year program, to further your profession, and a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering is also an option you can explore.
- Understanding the requirement: To make a career in this sector, you need to meet many prerequisites in terms of experience, learning, skills, as well as certifications. For that, you must go check out the job postings on multiple portals, as that can give you a better understanding of the skills that you shall acquire. Furthermore, you can reach out to numerous working professionals who can give you proper suggestions regarding various job requirements.
- Acquire useful talents: A mechanical engineer needs to have soft skills like good listening skills, teamwork, creativity, problem-solving skills, time management skills, etc. Further skills those engineers should have are- MS-EXCEL, CAE, CAD, Math, and many more. Also, to fully comprehend the skills required in your desired field of specialty, you must conduct an adequate study. The BTech mechanical engineering colleges provide excellent guidance for making successful careers in this sector.
- Gather experience: You can gain experience during your undergraduate studies by participating in internships or by following professionals around. It will help you develop your abilities and expose you to a mechanical engineer’s original work. Once you complete the academic program, it can assist you to make a reliable career. As a result, you will be able to research your area of interest and start a career there. Additionally, work experience is necessary to earn significant credentials like a Professional Engineer license. Nowadays, the maximum number of mechanical engineering job profiles require experience that can demonstrate your abilities.
- Develop your CV: You shall always remember to update your CV by adding fresh experiences, and skills you have acquired over time. Also, you need to look for the talents and qualifications that have more demands and take initiative to work on them. Moreover, a detailed CV can increase your chances of securing a job, if the specifications required for a particular role are properly highlighted in your resume.
Job Profiles of Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering graduates can apply for a variety of job profiles, based on their interests and preferences. A few of those common job profiles are listed below:
- Design Engineer
- Service Engineer
- Mechanical Designer
- Assistant Mechanical Engineer
- Instructional Designer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Purchase and Quality Control Executive
Arya College Jaipur
One of the widely recognized colleges in Jaipur that offers mechanical engineering courses is Arya College. Here, the department of Mechanical Engineering is composed of incredible and dedicated faculty members who never fail to guide their students.
Moreover, it provides facilities and an environment conducive to scholarly growth, employability, and higher studies. The ultimate aim of Arya College Jaipur is to prepare its students for a successful career in engineering.
Here’s a glimpse of the mechanical engineering academic program, offered by the college-
|B.Tech Program||Available Seats|
For eligibility criteria and admission related-queries, please check out their official website.
As we can observe that mechanical engineering plays a vital role in manufactured technologies. Ranging from cars, and refrigerators to aircraft, each field requires the involvement of mechanical engineering. Without this sector, we will not have appliances like generators, air-conditioners, engines, and many more that we use on a daily basis.
Mechanical engineers work on various things like seawater desalination, alternative fuels, air and water pollution, and engine efficiency. Furthermore, they are conducting various research to improve the climatic conditions and move toward a less-polluted future. If you are looking for the best BTech colleges in Jaipur, Arya College is a wise choice.
1. What are the different software applications used by students of Mechanical Engineering?
AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA, ProE/Creo, UG NX CAD, HyperMesh, ALTAIR, ANSYS, C++, JAVA, PYTHON, etc. are some of the applications used by mechanical engineering students.
2. What tools are generally used by a manual mechanical engineer?
A few tools used by a mechanical engineer are- Screwdriver, Digital force gauge, 3D printer, Flow meter, Ohmmeter, Graphic Calculator, Caliper, Vibration Isolator, Semiconductor process systems, and Cold forming press.
3. What is the average salary of a mechanical engineer in India?
The average salary of mechanical engineers in India usually ranges from Rs. 1.5 lakhs to Rs. 7 lakhs or above.
4. Who are the popular recruiters of Mechanical Engineering?
Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, Reliance Industries, BMW, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, GE Global Research, and Toshiba, among others are some of the famous organizations hiring mechanical engineers.