Are you looking more into one of the most popular approaches to make your eyelashes appear longer and fuller with eyelash extensions. Or maybe you’ve already tried it, and you liked it so much that you would like to try it again, but one of the most important questions that comes into your mind is “how long is it safe to wear eyelash extensions?”. Such a great and important question.
The answer to this question varies. It depends on your personal factors, care routine and the expertise of your lash artist. I know, it’s sounds vague. That’s why we wrote this article, to expand on this topic.
Understanding the Lash Cycle:
Before getting onto the durations, let learn something about your lashes. Your lashes grow in cycles like your hair. Here are the 3 phases you should know about:
- Anagen (growth phase): This lasts 4-8 weeks, where your lashes reach their peak length.
- Catagen (transition phase): A short 2-week period where growth slows down.
- Telogen (resting phase): Lashes shed naturally, paving the way for new ones to sprout.
The perfect timing to get Lash Extensions:
Ideally, lash extensions should mirror your natural lash cycle. This means that you should get refills every 2-3 weeks to replace lashes that have shed along with their natural counterparts. This will prevent unnecessary strain and will make your lashes look full.
Factors that Affect the Longevity of your Lash Extensions:
Let’s get into the factors that can influence how long your lash extensions last:
- Your natural lash health: Strong, healthy lashes provide a better foundation for extensions. If your lashes are weak or sparse, consult your lash artist about lighter extensions or alternative options.
- Application technique: A skilled lash artist will choose the right extensions for your lashes and apply them meticulously, ensuring proper bonding and minimal damage.
- Aftercare: Following your lash artist’s care instructions religiously is crucial. Avoid oil-based products, excessive rubbing, and sleeping directly on your face.
- Lifestyle: Frequent swimming, saunas, or hot showers can shorten the lifespan of your extensions.
When Should you Take a Break?
You can wear lash extensions indefinitely with proper care, but taking a break from them is beneficial. Most lash artists recommend taking a break every 6-8 months. This break gives your lashes a chance to breathe and rejuvenate. During this break your lashes will recover from any minor stress and will grow back stronger.
Remember: If your lashes get irritated, excessive shedding, or unnatural pulling, this is a sight that your lashes need a break or that you should talk to a professional lash artist for some advice.
Eyelash Extensions can be safe, and rewarding is you wear them with responsibility and proper care. It will boost your confidence and your eye-catching beauty. Do you research, ask questions during your consultation, accumulate as much knowledge as possible and respect your natural lashes.
Bonus Tips for Lash Extension Longevity:
- Invest in a silk pillowcase to minimize friction and lash loss during sleep.
- Use a gentle lash cleanser to remove makeup and debris without compromising the adhesive.
- Brush your lashes daily with a spoolie to maintain separation and prevent matting.
- Avoid using mascara on your extensions, as it can weigh them down and shorten their lifespan.
This blog post was inspired by multiple experienced lash artists, and we did our best to cover the most important things. But this blog post shouldn’t limit anyone from doing more research on their own. The most important information you can get about lash extensions is from your professional licensed lash artist. Book consultations, ask as many questions as you want and enjoy your eyelash extensions.