Do you remember those moments when you walked into someone’s house, and when you got to the kitchen and saw their beautiful custom cabinets it just made your heart melt and thought that their house is so beautiful? That’s the power of custom cabinetry. It’s not about storage solutions anymore. It’s all about how beautiful and how well they fit into your kitchen. It’s an investment and an amazing peace of art that you can enjoy in your house.
Custom cabinets can be expensive and when it comes to home renovation plans where custom cabinetry is a part of the plan, a question arises that most people ask themselves: “How long do custom cabinets last?”. That’s the question we are going to explore in this blog post. All the information has been inspired from multiple custom cabinetry sources.
The Secrets of Custom Cabinets Longevity
- The Material – If your cabinets are made of solid wood, they can last for decades. Plywood and MDF are the best choice when it comes to price and quality.
- Construction Counts – Joinery techniques like dovetailing and doweling speak volumes about a cabinet’s durability. These meticulous methods ensure a rock-solid foundation, resistant to warping and wear.
- Hardware – Details like hinges, drawer slides and other hardware are part of the secret to your cabinet’s longevity. Choose brands that offer high quality products.
- The Finishing Touch – In time, your cabinets start fading, scratches star to appear. To avoid all this, a high-quality finish serves as a protective shield and can save your cabinets from moisture too. Most homeowners advise to invest in a professional application of durable finishes like lacquer or polyurethane.
Custom Cabinets Maintenance
- Your cabinets need attention. Here are a few tips that we thought would be helpful to do as part of your custom cabinets maintenance:
- Wipe Up Spills Quickly – Water and food can wreak havoc on finishes. Act fast to clean up spills with a damp cloth, followed by a gentle buff with a microfiber towel.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight – Sun exposure can cause fading and warping. Consider strategic placement of curtains or blinds to protect your cabinets from harsh UV rays.
- Practice Regular Cleaning – A periodic dusting and light polish go a long way. Choose appropriate cleaning products based on your cabinet material and finish.
- Hardware TLC – Keep hinges and drawer slides lubricated to ensure smooth operation and prevent wear. Consult your cabinet maker for recommended lubricants.
That’d be all we had to say about custom cabinets longevity. Now make sure you use this knowledge wisely and find the best custom cabinetry contractor in your area. Request quotes from as many contractors as possible and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Requesting a quote is usually free. We would recommend picking a contractor that’s not too expensive or too cheap either. Your custom cabinets should be built with proper care Sometimes a little more expensive means higher quality and you want to invest in a long-term product. Don’t get faded away by low prices.