Segmentation is the division of the audience according to social, demographic, gender, technical, behavioral, and other characteristics. Depending on the depth of elaboration of the portrait of the target audience, you can segment as many as you like and find your working segment in the advertisement. For example, your ad is being clicked on by users aged 18-65, but only women aged 25-34 are buying. This is a separate segment among the audience.
Why Segmentation Is Needed
The professionals from aitarget believe that it is important for targeted advertising to segment the audience to:
- make a separate post for each segment;
- display a relevant message to increase the effectiveness of advertising;
- identify the most effective connection;
- find out which segment is most interested in the product;
- reach your audience faster;
- increase your ad conversion.
The latter reason is the most important for segmentation on Facebook and Instagram. The work algorithm of these sources allows you to make profitable advertising without any choice of interests at all. With competent advertising posts, the algorithm itself will find an effective segment within the parameters of the audience that you have configured.
Suitable for most projects, even with a minimal budget. You can choose the structure Audience + Platform or Platform + Audience.
- Audience + Platform is best used when you are just launching an ad. For example, in a year in business, you have built a customer base. Using this database, you make a similar audience and you understand – this is a juicy target audience. You do not need to search for other audiences, it is important to find from which platform the most leads will come.
- Platform + Audience is best used when you run ads and want to work with only one site. You make more than one interest group, but choose several different ones – marketing, business, investments.
When you launch advertising with basic segmentation, it will become clear from which platforms the advertising works more efficiently. New interest groups can be launched on these sites as separate campaigns. When launching ads according to the second principle, everything is exactly the opposite.
Second Level Segmentation
The narrower the audience, the more expensive it is. Therefore, multi-level segmentation and the allocation of narrow target audiences are suitable for companies with large advertising budgets.
When segmenting, try to adhere to the rule: the size of each segment is at least 100,000 people, and better – more than 200,000. This will keep the balance between the audience size and the price of displays.
Here are some tips to improve your target audience segmentation:
- use audience segmentation when you first launch ads;
- in Audience + Facebook + Devices segmentation, try other types of segmentation, for example, PC + iOS + Android or iOS + Android;
- segment by more cities within a country, or by each country if you’re advertising for an entire continent;
- in the age option, select ages under 25 and over 44, as well as other intervals such as 18–21, 22–25, 25–28, and others.
Third Level Segmentation
When using Facebook + Instagram feed + Instagram stories, at least 12 segments are obtained per interest group. This means that with three different interests, there will already be 36 different segments. However, this segmentation should be done for a product designed for a wide audience, with an advertising budget of $ 10,000 per month.
The segmentation format can be used when you urgently need to get a result from the advertising, for example, collect 5,000+ users for a webinar in seven days. In a short time, it turns out to cover a large number of audiences, and the budget for a single segment is from $20 to $200.
Fourth Level Segmentation
You can continue to segment, but is it necessary? This point is more about the fact that this is possible. Do not adhere to the principle “the larger the budget, the more you need to segment”. Further fragmentation of the audience usually does not lead to better results.
When segmenting, keep an eye on audience size and be careful about fine-tuning your audience on small budgets. Sometimes it is more profitable to divide the audience only by sites than to create 12 segments per interest group.
About Author: I’m Jaylin: Guest post service planner of Leelija and full time blogger. Favorite things include my camera, traveling, caring my fitness, food and my fashion. Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org