Decking boards are an essential component of any outdoor living space, providing a platform for relaxing, entertaining, and enjoying the great outdoors. With so many decking boards range options available at reliable dealers like Brite Decking, it can be overwhelming to choose the right type of decking boards for your project. In this guide, we’ll explore the wide range of decking boards available and provide insights on what to consider when making your selection.
Softwood Decking Boards
Softwood decking boards are a popular choice for those looking for a natural wood look. They are typically made from pine, spruce, or fir and are an affordable option. Softwood boards have a rustic appearance and are easy to work with, but they may require more maintenance than other materials. They are also susceptible to rot and decay if not properly treated.
Hardwood Decking Boards
Hardwood decking boards are a premium choice that offer a beautiful natural wood look. They are typically made from species such as teak, mahogany, or ipe and are very durable. Hardwood boards are naturally resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage, making them a low maintenance option. They can be more expensive than other materials, but the investment is worth it in terms of longevity.
Composite Decking Boards
Composite decking boards are made from a mixture of wood fibers and plastic materials. They are an increasingly popular choice due to their low maintenance requirements and durability. Composite boards are resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage, and come in a variety of colors and textures that mimic the look of natural wood. They are more expensive than softwood boards, but can be a more cost-effective choice in the long run due to their low maintenance requirements.
PVC Decking Boards
PVC decking boards are a newer option that offer a range of benefits. They are made from 100% synthetic materials, making them highly resistant to moisture, rot, and insect damage. They also have a sleek and modern look, and are available in a variety of colors and textures. PVC boards are more expensive than other materials, but they require little maintenance and have a long lifespan.
Aluminum Decking Boards
Aluminum decking boards are a unique option that offer a sleek and modern appearance. They are made from extruded aluminum and are highly durable, with resistance to moisture, rot, and insect damage. Aluminum boards are also fire-resistant and are available in a range of colors and textures. They can be more expensive than other materials, but are low maintenance and have a long lifespan.
What to Consider When Choosing Decking Boards
When selecting the right decking boards for your project, there are several factors to consider. These include:
- Budget: Different materials come at different price points, so it’s important to set a budget for your project and choose materials that fit within that budget.
- Maintenance Requirements: Consider how much maintenance you are willing to perform on your deck. Some materials require more maintenance than others, so choose a material that fits your maintenance preferences.
- Climate: Consider the climate of your area when choosing decking boards. Some materials are better suited for harsh weather conditions than others.
- Style: Your decking boards should complement the style of your home and outdoor living space. Consider the color and texture options available and choose a material that complements your existing décor.
- Sustainability: Many decking materials are available in sustainable options, such as those made from recycled materials. Consider the environmental impact of the materials you choose and opt for sustainable options when possible.
Choosing the right decking boards for your outdoor living space can be a daunting task. With so many options available, it’s important to consider factors such as budget, maintenance requirements, climate, style, and sustainability. Softwood, hardwood, composite, PVC, and aluminum decking boards all offer unique benefits and can be a challenge to decide which one is the best fit for your project.