By: Ranjan Kumar, CEO of Entropik Tech
Emotion AI is rapidly advancing as applications become more widespread, and the technology becomes more dynamic with 2021 positioned as a breakout year. But exactly how much Emotion AI surrounds people through their computers, smartphones, and video game consoles? Up until 2018, the answer was close to “almost none”, but according to Gartner, ten percent of personal devices worldwide will possess Emotion AI features on-device or via cloud services by 2022.
To quote Annette Zimmermann, the renowned Gartner analyst: “By 2022, your personal device will know more about your emotional state than your own family.”
Even start-ups and gaming tech companies are substantially investing in Emotion AI using eye tracking, facial coding, and voice analysis to recognize and interpret human emotions. Not only will gaming firms know what the gamers are feeling while playing their games, but they will also be able to sense players’ emotions and optimize the features according to it.
Testers and game developers are using facial coding and eye tracking technologies before launch to understand player’s response and design immersive experiences, better interfaces, and improved gameplay.
Level Up Gamers’ Digital Experience with Emotion AI
The Coronavirus pandemic and the lockdown that came along drove massive amounts of revenues for the gaming industry worldwide.
Gamers are spending more time with their dedicated consoles, computers, and mobiles than ever. Besides, with numerous games still in the pipeline, gamers and developers are utilizing Emotion AI for remote game testing. They can gather more in-depth insights into the usability, applicability, and experience of the game.
The gaming industry is also actively deploying Emotion AI technologies to capture dynamic game analytics, develop exciting, engaging and to deliver impactful gaming experiences.
Here’s how Emotion AI technologies can enable Gaming companies to stay ahead of the competition:
- Emotion AI vendors can use their large emotion data repositories to check usability and market testing of the games.
- Game developers can detect, identify, and analyze the genuine, unobstructed, and unbiased emotional response from the gamers during play testing at scale.
- These large-scale remote testing sessions enable developers to use emotion-mapping, facial coding, eye tracking, and analytics technology to improve a player’s gaming experience further.
Eye Tracking Technology
- Use of Emotion AI in the Gaming world adds to the ability to prevent usability issues and particularly in the first hour of gameplay
- Eye-tracking during game testing can bring to light gamers’ interaction with various onscreen elements like mini-maps, weaponry, and treasures. Firms will know if gamers are finding it easy or exhausting to tackle the features
- The outcomes can boost the developer’s understanding of the user experience, and they can gain insights into the players’ mind
- Developers can build games keeping in mind what caught a gamers’ eye the most and what points dipped attention
- Firms can employ eye tracking to test old and new designs in the same remote session.
- Heatmaps and eye gaze plots can then help gamers understand whether gamers can navigate and locate options in the game smoothly
Facial Coding Technology
- Emotion-AI platforms can enable gaming companies to quantify the attention and engagement levels of a gamer successfully in a testing session through facial coding
- Since humans are social beings, they don’t consciously interact or respond to computers and while playing a new game and concentrating users can default to a blank face, which makes facial coding even more critical.
- Emotional investment and player immersion can be understood by identifying peak emotions, distraction points, and surprise elements in a session
- Facial emotion recognition technology can help game developers to capture and analyze players’ emotions, response, reactions, triggers, attention spikes and dips during the critical level of the game
The Future of Emotion Technology Recognition in the Gaming World
Gaming firms, developers, and researchers are just getting started in blending Emotion AI solutions and video games to enhance UX. A well-rounded UX can help build brand perception, attract, acquire and retain more users, while continuously improving satisfaction levels.
Emotion recognition technology platforms allow gaming firms to develop many visually appealing, smartly created, immersive, and intelligent games — and an inevitable revolution in the gaming industry through Emotion AI solutions awaits us.