Increasing incidences of drug abuse and stringent regulations regarding drug tests are factors expected to drive the global drug screening market growth.
The global drug screening market is expected to be valued at USD 13.56 Billion in 2027 from USD 3.83 Billion in 2019, registering a CAGR of 17.1% through the forecast period. Drug screening, also known as a drug test, identifies potential drugs prior to clinical trials for drug candidate selection. It typically involves the screening of large groups of chemicals indicated for a specific biological activity in high-throughput screening assays. It also involves the technical analysis of a biological specimen, such as hair, breath, urine, blood, sweat, or oral fluid/saliva, to accurately determine the absence or presence of the specified parent drugs.
Revenue from the global drug screening market is projected to register a substantially high growth rate over the forecast years. The increasing implementation of drug screening across hospitals, clinics, drug testing laboratories, workplaces, and research institutes is a key parameter contributing to the growth of this market. At various workplaces, these tests are carried out as pre-employment testing for individuals and employees. A significant rise in alcohol and illegal drug consumption, the augmenting number of accidents due to high alcohol consumption, and stringent laws regarding drug screening practices in developed and developing countries are the pivotal factors triggering the global market growth.
Moreover, technological advancements in drug screening techniques, rising demand for drug screening devices worldwide, and increased government focus on accelerating the development of various drug screening programs are the other factors projected to promote the market growth significantly in the near future. However, strict restrictions on illegal drug use and alcohol consumption in several countries across the world restrain the global drug screening market growth to a major extent.
Key Highlights of the Report:
- Among the product and service types, the breathalyzers segment is the market leader in terms of revenue share. Breathalyzers are devices used to evaluate the alcohol content in an individual’s breath. The product offers convenient handling and gives out accurate results. Moreover, tests using these devices can be conducted anywhere and at any time.
- The breath sample segment is predicted to emerge as the leading market segment in the coming years. Breath samples offer several advantages for drug screening, as they are less invasive and less time-consuming than other kinds of samples, such as blood or urine samples.
- The workplace end-use segment, which accounted for the largest market share in 2019, is expected to maintain its leading position over the projected period. Drug screening is mandatory at most workplaces as it helps maintain a safe working environment and improves employees’ productivity.
- North America is the largest regional market for drug screening, primarily due to the rising drug abuse cases, enforcement of stringent regulations against drug abuse and alcohol consumption, and increasing adoption of drug screening devices in the region.
- The leading market players include Thermo Fisher Scientific, Psychemedics Corporation, LabCorp, Siemens Healthineers, Roche Diagnostics Limited, Quest Diagnostics, Omega Laboratories, Alfa Scientific Designs, Drägerwerk, and Premier Biotech.
- In May 2020, Psychemedics Corporation introduced a vaping panel intended for the detection of nicotine, Cannabidiol (CBD), or marijuana use. This test is specifically designed to abolish the rising e-cigarettes and e-vaping among youngsters.
For this report, Emergen Research has segmented the global drug screening market on the basis of product and service, sample type, end-user, and region:
By Product and Service (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017–2027)
- Drug Screening Products
- Analytical Instruments
- Immunoassay Analyzers
- Chromatography Instruments
- Breathalyzers (Fuel-cell, Semiconductor, Others)
- Urine Testing Devices
- Drug Testing Cups
- Dip Cards
- Drug Testing Cassettes
- Oral Fluid Testing Devices
- Assay Kits
- Sample Collection Tubes
- Calibrators & Controls
- Rapid Testing Devices
- Drug Screening Services
- Analytical Instruments
By Sample Type (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017–2027)
- Hair Sample
- Oral Fluid Sample
- Breath Sample
- Urine Sample
By End-user (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017–2027)
- Drug Testing Laboratories
- Drug Treatment Centers
- Pain Management Centers
- Criminal Justice Systems & Law Enforcement Agencies
- Individual Users
- Research Institutes
By Region (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017–2027)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of the Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
To get leading market solutions, visit the link below: https://www.emergenresearch.com/industry-report/drug-screening-market