The global disposable syringes market size was USD 13.07 Billion in 2021 and is expected to register a revenue CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period, according to the latest analysis by Emergent Research. The rising prevalence of chronic diseases, coupled with the increasing number of surgical procedures across the globe is expected to drive market growth over the forecast period. In addition, the growing demand for self-administration of drugs and vaccines is expected to create significant growth opportunities for market players in the coming years.
The emergence of COVID-19 has had a positive impact on the market as there has been an increase in the demand for disposable syringes for vaccination purposes. However, the availability of alternatives is expected to restrain market growth to some extent over the forecast period.
The disposable syringe is a pre-sterilized, single-use syringe that is disposed of after a single use. It is made of plastic and has a Luer lock or Luer slip tip for connecting the needle. The syringe doesn’t have a needle attached to it, and the needle is disposed of after use. Disposable syringes are practical for emergency use as they come sterilized and individually packed. Disposable syringes with needles are used to measure and draw fluids from the body for various purposes such as injections, blood transfusions, and others.
Traditional glass syringes are being increasingly replaced by disposable syringes, mainly due to the rising prevalence of blood-borne diseases and cross-contamination. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), improper use and disposal of sharps account for a substantial number of injuries and infections worldwide. Hospitals and clinics are at a higher risk for contracting blood-borne diseases such as Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C.
Some Key Highlights From the Report
- The pharmaceutical industry segment accounted for a moderate revenue share in 2021 due to the large-scale production of biopharmaceuticals and other injectable drugs. The demand for prefilled syringes is also growing due to their convenience in terms of doses and easy handling. However, the market will face tough competition from reusable syringes in the coming years.
- The safety syringes disease segment accounted for a significant revenue share in 2021 due to the growing demand for safety syringes to avoid needle stick injuries and cross contamination. The safety syringes segment is further anticipated to grow at a CAGR of over 5% between 2021 and 2031.
- The pre-filled syringes segment is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period owing to the growing preference for pre-filled syringes as they minimize the risk of medication errors.
- The pens segment is anticipated to grow at a moderate rate during the forecast period due to the growing preference for insulin pens among diabetic patients.
- The Europe market accounted for a significant revenue share in 2021 owing to the rising awareness among people regarding vaccination and other disease control measures in the region.
- The market in the Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to the increasing number of vaccinations and other disease control measures in the region.
- The North American region held a leading market share in 2021 due to the large-scale production of pharmaceuticals and biopharmaceuticals in the region. The Asia Pacific region is expected to grow at a rapid pace due to the growing demand for prefilled syringes from the healthcare sector.
- Some major companies in the global market report include Braun Medical, Inc., Novo Nordisk, Baxter International, Inc., Fresenius Kabi AG, Becton, Dickinson and Company, Terumo Corporation, Flextronics International Vita Needle Company, UltiMed, Inc., Henke-Sass, and Covidien.
Emergen Research has segmented the global disposable syringes market based on type, application, end-user, and region:
- Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2019-2030)
- Conventional Syringes
- Safety Syringes
- Retractable Safety Syringes
- Non-retractable Safety Syringes
- Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2019-2030)
- Immunization Injections
- Therapeutic Injections
- End-Use Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2019-2030)
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Blood Banks
- Pharmaceutical Industry
- Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2019-2030)
- North America
- the U.S.
- the UK
- Rest of Europe
- the Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of APAC
- Latin America
- Rest of LATAM
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- North America