Even though laser hair removal is starting to gain quite the reputation, there are still a majority of people who are either skeptical or vigilant. Not a lot of people know or understand how it works, why multiple sessions are needed, is it painful, and more.
People still gravitate to other hair-removal methods such as shaving, waxing and creams. What they do not understand is that in just 10 sessions, laser hair removal can save you thousands of pounds and you won’t ever have to shave or wax again in your life!
This article is here to introduce you to the world of laser hair removal.
WHAT IS LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
It is the best way to have a virtually hair-free lifestyle.
Quite simply, the laser targets the melanin present in your hair without causing any damage or harm to the surrounding cells and tissues. This is called Selective Photothermolysis. When the melanin absorbs the light (photo), this becomes heat (thermos) which destroys the hair follicle (lysis).
Additionally, you do not have to worry about radiation – this treatment is completely safe. Laser does not cause cancer or any other type of cell mutation.
Every person is different even when it comes to hair growth. Furthermore, the hair growth is also different when it comes to our different body areas as well. You can see the fastest results when it comes to body areas with coarse hair. However, just as technology has evolved in the world of laser hair removal as well, this treatment can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of your skin tone.
Another amazing benefit of laser hair removal is the fact that ingrown hair will never be a problem and can even be removed using this treatment.
HOW MANY SESSIONS ARE NEEDED? HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
To truly experience permanent hair reduction, you need a full course of 10 sessions. Results can be seen from the first session, but each session will only bring you 10-20% of the desired result. Therefore, multiple sessions are required. But after these 10 sessions, you can enjoy a virtually hair-free lifestyle.
It is important to note that there is no treatment that will make you 100% hair-free. But those who have indulged in a full course find maintenance to be extremely minimal, and in some cases, non-existent.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
- You should not wax, use creams or do any kind of hair removal method that removes the hair follicle. As explained, the laser needs to target the melanin present in the hair. If there is no hair to target, then your appointment will need to be delayed and rescheduled.
- It is important to stay out of the sun, and this involves tanning as well. If sunlight exposure is unavoidable, you must use a sunscreen with an SPF of 40 or higher. Failure to do so will result in your appointment being delayed.
- It is crucial to ensure that the areas for treatment need to be shaved at least 24 hours before the treatment. Any hair left unshaven can lead to burns.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AFTER LASER HAIR REMOVAL?
- There are different levels of discomfort that can be experienced and that depends on the laser and the therapist. Therefore, it is important to choose the right clinic for you. However, it is nothing compared to waxing or threading. Also, there are some laser machines that have cooling systems built into the laser shots, and if not, cooling gel is used. Therefore, discomfort will be quite minimal. Some patients even find it quite soothing.
- Any itchiness felt after the treatment is very common – all you need is an aloe vera gel or something similar to help soothe.
- If you notice redness and swelling around the hair, do not be alarmed – in fact, this is desired outcome as it means it is working. It only lasts for about a day.
It is time to ditch the razor and get on board with laser! It is truly a life-changing experience… to enjoying a virtually hair-free lifestyle.