According to a recent report by Emergent Research, the global market for Airborne Lidar is expected to be valued at USD 1,291.2 million by 2027. The airborne LiDAR market is anticipated to expand significantly throughout the projected timeframe because of the rising need for distant scouting and geo-exploration operations. The increasing demand for 3D imaging is anticipated to further fuel market expansion across a variety of industries, including geographic measurements and corridor mapping.
Forestry management and planning, flood modeling, urban/city modeling, pollution modeling, shoreline management, transportation planning, and cellular network planning all make extensive use of airborne LiDAR systems. The industry has widely adopted a recent tendency to collect numerous data sets at higher point densities by flying slower and lower. According to scientists, this technique allows the machine to measure the ground with 520 or even as many as 40 points per square meter. This technique, which has recently become popular for topographic surveys because of the increased precision of airborne LiDAR systems, is anticipated to deliver accurate and precise mapping of the item. The most recent developments in LiDAR sensors have improved this.
However, it is expected that technological challenges in gathering, distributing, and managing the quality of real-time data would impede market growth over the forecast timeframe.
Some Key Highlights from the Report
- Endeavor Robotic Holdings, Inc. was purchased by FLIR Systems, Inc. in March 2019. As a result of the integration of Endeavor, FLIR has emerged as the industry’s leading provider of manned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and terrain applications for both public safety and warfighting.
- The topographic category is expected to lead the market with a CAGR of 16.6% during the projected period due to the benefits of high frequency, improved monitoring combined with low power laser, greater resolution, cost-effective data management, and improved laser integration (Neat-infra-red).
- The fixed-wing aircraft market is expected to be the largest throughout the forecasted period. Fixed-wing aircraft have wings that do not move and are propelled by a piston or a propeller. This is typically employed during lengthy journeys.
- The laser market is anticipated to account for the greatest share during the anticipated time frame. The advantages of this component, such as improved performance in terms of standard and 3D imaging, encourage segmental growth.
- Because this is the only application that reveals the vegetation’s true distance in virtually real-time, the corridor mapping sector is anticipated to rule the market during the forecast period.
- The aerospace & military sector is anticipated to occupy the largest market throughout the forecast period because of the widespread use of Airborne LiDAR systems in fighter planes and spacecraft for advanced protection and 3D imaging.
- The North American airborne LiDAR market is expanding due to the widespread usage of LiDAR systems in mapping and scanning solutions, and this region is anticipated to lead the market over the projected timeframe.
- Important players include Leica Geosystems, Saab AB, FLIR Systems, Inc., Teledyne Technologies International Corp, Faro Technologies, Inc., Lasermap Inc., Merrick & Company, Inc., Xactsense Inc., RIEGL Laser Measurement Systems GmbH, and Firmatek, L.L.C. among others.
Emergen Research has segmented the global Airborne LiDAR Market based on type, platform, component, application, end-user, and region:
Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2017-2027)
Platform Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2017-2027)
- Fixed Wing Aircraft
- Rotary Wing Aircraft
Component Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2017-2027)
- Micro-electromechanical Systems
- Inertial Navigation Systems
Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2017-2027)
- Exploration & Detection
- Corridor Mapping
End-Use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2017-2027)
- Aerospace & Defense
- Transportation & Logistics
Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2017-2027)
- North America
- the U.S.
- the UK
- Rest of Europe
- the Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of APAC
- Latin America
- Rest of LATAM
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of MEA