The Activated Carbon Market is expected to be valued at USD 14.07 Billion in 2027 from USD 6.70 Billion in 2019, registering a CAGR of 9.6% through the forecast period. The wide range of applications of activated carbon in the medical and biopharmaceutical sector is the key factor bolstering the industry growth. Activated carbon is used as an adsorbent to minimize the number of pollutants generated during the production of drugs and medicines. Strict policies and rules concerning the elimination of mercury from power plant emissions, natural gas production units, and other human-related sources are projected to contribute significantly to market growth.
Activated carbon also finds tremendous usage in water treatment for clean potable water and in industrial sectors, which in turn, is expected to strengthen the market growth. Activated carbon is an excellent adsorbent and has a high specific surface area, which is beneficial in reducing mercury emissions, thereby boosting the market growth. Moreover, the stringent environmental regulations to eliminate mercury emissions from human-made sources and control the levels of pollutants are predicted to propel the industry growth over the forecast years.
The soaring demand for activated carbon for water and gas-phase applications and the increasing investment from the industries in advanced technologies for wastewater treatment is contributing to the market’s expansion. The growing demand from the United States, advancements in technologies, and the escalating awareness about health and wellness are further driving the demand.
Grab Your Free Sample PDF Copy Now
Key Highlights from Report:
- Granular activated carbon (GAC) is a viable option for removing certain chemicals from water, specifically organic chemicals. GAC filters also eliminate chemicals, such as chlorine or hydrogen sulfide, from water that confer questionable or strange taste and odor to the water.
- Coal-based activated carbon is extensively used in water purification, which is a significant end-user application. The segment is projected to register a significantly high CAGR during the estimated timeframe.
- Activated carbon is primarily used to control emissions in the automotive industry. It removes volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and improves the cabin air quality. Automotive cabin air filters use activated carbon filter pads to clean and purify the air to minimize odors in the cabin. Activated carbon is also used to develop electrodes for supercapacitors.
- Europe accounted for a considerable share of the industry in 2019 and is projected to retain its dominant position in the market in the projected timeframe. The regional growth can be accredited to the rapid implementation of stringent environmental policies and increased government initiatives to protect the environment. The economic development of the region is also contributing to the market growth.
- Major companies operating in the industry include Cabot Corporation, Silcarbon Aktivkohle GmbH, Kuraray Co. Ltd., Calgon Carbon Corporation, Osaka Gas Co., Ltd., Kureha Corporation, Prominent Systems Inc., Donau Carbon GmbH, Oxbow Activated Carbon LLC, and Boyce Carbon, among others.
- AquaShield, in November 2020, launched Philips Water GoZero, a new product line of Philips-branded hydration products focused on transforming the consumption of water. The product allows consumers to sustainably enjoy clean and potable drinking water from both natural sources and tap water.
For the purpose of this report, Emergen Research has segmented the Global Activated Carbon Market on the basis of type, raw material, end-use, and region:
Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017-2027)
- Polymer Coated Activated Carbon
- Bead Activated Carbon
- Powdered Activated Carbon
- Extruded or Pelletized Activated Carbon
- Granular Activated Carbon
- Other Activated Carbon
Raw Material Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017-2027)
- Coconut Shell
End-Use Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017-2027)
- Food & Beverage Processing
- Water Treatment
- Air Purification
- Pharmaceutical & Medical
Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Billion; 2017-2027)
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of APAC
- Latin America
- Rest of LATAM
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of MEA
To get leading market solutions, visit the link below: https://www.emergenresearch.com/industry-report/activated-carbon-market